Director, Product Design - (Remote)
We're looking for a Director of Product Design to join the New Relic Full-Stack Observability team to help lead our premier product experience. You'll lead the design of product experiences that enable users to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their entire software stack. You'll work across multiple product teams to deliver innovative experiences that the world's best engineering teams rely upon.
As a people and inspiring leader, you'll nurture and guide a distributed product design team, help shape the design vision and the strategic direction of New Relic One. As a senior member of the Experience Design team, you'll play a key role at a formative stage in the global team's next-level of growth, helping drive our Experience Design vision. If you're a creative systems-thinker, a data nerd, and a passionate user-advocate like us, we want to hear from you!
What You’ll Do
- Deliver quality user experiences that improve usability and provide meaningful value to New Relic users
- Lead, oversee, and grow a team of high-performing product designers by communicating a vision, providing direction, mentorship, and inspiration
- Balance the strategic and operational needs of your team—from pitching ideas to negotiating trade-off decisions and coordinating resources
- Drive excellence through collaboration with design and engineering directors, product managers, researchers and writers to identify business opportunities and user needs
- Cultivate positive relationships with executives and peers across the organization to ensure alignment and delivery of a holistic end-to-end user experience
- Drive standards for design excellence supporting our design system, principles, and guidelines
- Promote informed decision-making using quantitative and qualitative research to ensure users' observability needs are understood and met
- Lead the Experience Design vision in partnership with the New Relic Experience Design leadership team, broadly driving best-practices around teamwork, user-centricity and innovation
- Exercise strong communication and nurture a culture of contributing, feedback, and design excellence
- 10+ years of relevant design experience, ideally in enterprise software, SaaS B2C or B2B products
- 5+ years of leadership experience with direct people management
- Adept at delivering high-quality work in an agile, fast-paced environment
- Test-and-learn know-how to measure and refine designs based on user and market data
- Experience attracting, hiring, mentoring and retaining top talent
- Strong project management abilities
- Experience working with global teams distributed across different time zones
- An excellent communicator in both written and spoken English
- An advanced degree in Design, HCI, or a related field
- An understanding of cloud infrastructure and experience with related platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform)
- Experience designing for data-rich products, incorporating data visualizations
- Experience working in SaaS or enterprise software
Learn more about Full Stack Observability here: https://newrelic.com/platform/full-stack-observability
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.