Senior Database Engineer (Open to remote)
Do you want to work on automating databases and services that process hundreds of billions of transactions per month? Do you aspire to design, build, and deploy database systems across several environments that are highly reliable, performant, and easy to operate via your automation? If you find these challenges exciting, we encourage you to apply!
We’re looking for a Database Engineer to join our growing team responsible for creating and maintaining open source data stores such as MySQL, Postgres, and Redis while keeping an eye on new datastore technologies. You’ll get to design automated, flexible systems capable of scaling to meet the growing demand of the database platform but also provide guidance and best practices on schema design, query optimization, and learn the detailed data requirements of New Relic products.
You’ll be working with engineers who build and support everything from the network to deployment infrastructure in a fast-paced environment where things change rapidly, and where we’re constantly increasing our scale. We believe in using automation to increase reliability and efficiency, so you’ll have the opportunity to use your programming skills to automate the administration of our database systems.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
What You’ll Do
- Build systems that help teams migrate from our containerized database platform (Megabase) to new cloud environments.
- Investigating new datastore technologies and cloud migration strategies
- Assist in the creation, administration, and monitoring of MySQL, Postgres, and Redis systems and infrastructure.
- Investigating database tuning settings and query changes needed to improve performance, availability, and reliability.
- Developing tools in Go to automate the operation (server and database provisioning, backups, fail-overs, monitoring, etc.) of our Dockerized database infrastructure to reduce possibilities for manual error and increase team efficiency.
- 4+ years of experience supporting database systems or in system administration roles.
- Real-world experience administering MySQL, Postgres, and/or Redis in production.
- Experience operating databases hosted on cloud platforms
- Automation-first thinking
- Experience using AWS managed databases: RDS, Aurora, ElastiCache
- Proficiency using Go, Python and/or Ruby to automate system-level tasks (the team has standardized on Go for tool development)
- Experience with Docker container deployments and administration
- Experience with Ansible, Terraform, Puppet or other configuration management tools.
This position is in our Barcelona office, which was established in October 2014 with our acquisition of Ducksboard, a privately held startup. We provide challenging work, opportunities to learn, high-quality teammates, a standard-setting product, and a company on the move. We offer:
- Competitive salary.
- Equity compensation plan.
- Performance reviews twice a year.
- Work-life balance and flexible schedule.
- Amazing and fun work environment.
- Private health insurance for you and your family, including dental coverage.
- Retirement fund and Life insurance.
- English and Spanish language classes.
- Office located in the center of Barcelona, very close to public transportation.
- We provide ergonomic furniture (chairs, desks) to keep you healthy and comfy.
- Fresh fruits, snacks, and beverages.
- We support technical meetups, both local and international.
- We help with relocation.
We are passionate about data visualizations in real time, APIs, intuitive UX, and beautiful design. We have no dogma but do whatever makes sense to deliver state of the art products.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.