Our journalism focuses on our local communities, and in that role we have the ability to spotlight problems, highlight solutions and truly make a difference -- all the reasons you got into journalism. And we are part of McClatchy, a digitally driven company focused on innovation, with newsrooms in 30 communities in the United States,
We are located in Columbia, SC, a vibrant state capital with a major university and a high quality of life.
We are looking for an experienced journalist who can handle a demanding mix of daily beat coverage and long-form enterprise, and who is deeply curious about political power and those who wield it. The ideal candidate would have experience covering politics and elections and a proven track record of using public records and data to find hidden stories. Candidates must also understand the importance of breaking news and leveraging social media.
As our State Government Reporter, you will be responsible for the following:
- Developing sources on your beat.
- Using public records and databases to uncover stories.
- Tracking the money, from government spending to campaign contributions and expenditures.
- Writing a healthy mix of daily and enterprise stories.
- Quickly post stories online and developing them further as needed.
- Using social media tools to develop, distribute and enhance stories.
- Helping to plan and execute the presentation of stories in a way that maximizes digital impact.
- 2 years of reporting experience preferred
- Strong writing and reporting skills Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- Understanding of SEO and other optimization opportunities and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital Reliable transportation.
- Valid driver’s license
- Vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works)