Data Integration ETL Developer (Immediate Opening)
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 53,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Houston (2020), Permian Basin (2020), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video .
The Data Integration/ETL Developer will be responsible for improving IDEA’s operational processes and supporting critical strategies by assisting in the new development and implementation related to our internal applications systems. The Developer will deliver the testing, ongoing evaluation, and validation of organizational data structures and identify issues in current processes while providing proven strategies for ongoing database and data warehouse development relating to internal custom applications development and deployment. This position will provide recommendations and insight on IDEA’s IT operations and strategy from an applications development standpoint. This job requires the ability and desire to work and communicate well in a dynamic team environment as well as dependability and self-sufficiency.
At IDEA, the Data Integration/ETL Developer role is a mid to high level role with a focus on building upon the IDEA data warehouse. The IDEA data warehouse is the central data store for all analytics and reporting. As a result, the developer is responsible for data extraction, transformation, and loading of data into the data warehouse and is the primary keeper of this system. These processes require strong skills with a variety of specialized tools and techniques for data cleansing, preparation, modeling, and integration. This role is also required to have a strong background in analytics and server-side processing.
On-time Product Delivery: Drive to and maintain on-time development and delivery of high-quality features for custom applications and business intelligence tools as defined by monthly sprint plans and measured by:
- % of critical defects due to code changes should be limited to a max of 5% team wide
- % of spilled over development tasks should be limited to a max of 5% team wide
- % of complete ownership of deployed features should exceed 20% team wide.
- % of reopened defects should be limited to a max of 2% team-wide
Effective Requirements Analysis: New major product work and execution is detailed with full requirements analysis and effective preparation for sprint planning, with detailed task/effort estimates as measured by:
- Difference between estimated effort and actual effort should be limited to a max of 15% and decrease gradually team-wide
- Defects due a mismatch in understanding of the requirements should be limited to a max of 10% team-wide
Efficient Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: Thorough object-oriented analysis and design of features with the documentation of necessary design artifacts as measured by:
- Refactoring time to enhance/improve code changes should be less than 15% of the original effort team-wide
- At least 20% of all code developed should be reusable
- Reuse of code should be leveraged whenever possible. Duplication should be limited to a max of 5% team wide
Adherence to Effective Scrum Practices
- Adhering to all of the Scrum processes, with active and punctual participation in Scrum meetings as measured by:
- Absenteeism in scrum ceremonies including daily huddles, retrospectives, product reviews, and planning sessions should be limited to a max of 5% with prior intimation team-wide
- All planned leaves (both short and long duration) should be intimated in advance and documented so that sprint commitments are not affected. Deviation should be limited to 5% team-wide
- Unplanned leaves (both short and long duration) should be intimated as soon as possible and documented so that sprint commitments are not affected. Deviation should be limited to 5% team-wide.
Live values of IDEA
- Believes and is committed to our mission: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Is driven by outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- Embodies IDEA’s core values
- New Data Source Evaluation and Design
- Data Cleansing and Preparation
- SQL Development (Tables, Views, Relationships, Indexes, Stored Procedures, Functions, Jobs, Agents, Dynamic SQL queries, Complex SQL syntax, etc. )
- ETL Development, Testing, Maintenance and Troubleshooting
- API Integration with 3rd Party Applications
- Business Rule Design and Development
- Relational and Dimensional Model Design
- Key Performance Index Design and Implementation
- Meta-Data Store Design, Development, and Implementation
- Participates as a Data Governance Liaison
- Documentation (Technical and End-user)
- Testing, Quality Assurance, and Risk Analysis
- End-User Support
- Source code back-up, branching, and merging
- This role leads and oversees the work of others in a project capacity as a project technical lead:
- Gathers business requirements in collaboration with Product Managers
- Participates in developing the best strategy based on identified risks and available resources
- Provides basis for creating estimates for the time necessary to complete work
- Ensures technical and project documentation is kept up to date
- Manages subordinate work to ensure that deadlines are met and/or slippage is proactively communicated
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in Information Technology/Computer Science
- 3+ years related work experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (SQL 2016 BI Development)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Server Installation, Configuration, Maintenance, and Troubleshooting
- SQL - Installation, Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Development of Solutions in Management Studio (SSMS), Analysis Services (SSAS), Integration Services (SSIS), Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Data Warehouse Design/Development - ETLs, Data Modeling, Advanced Data Management Techniques
- Database Development (tables, relationships, indexes, stored procedures, functions, jobs, agents, etc.)
- 3rd Party System Integrations/API programming
- Agile (methodologies and practical application)
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (methodologies and practical application)
- New System Installations (Server Setup, Configuration, Testing, Deployment)
- System Migrations (i.e., On-Premise to Cloud)
- Advanced Analytics Programming using R/Python/SPSS
Information Technology and Software Engineering Competencies
- Application Development, Support and Maintenance
- Business Analysis
- Database Design and Management
- IT Project Management
- IT Support Troubleshooting
- Processes, Methodologies, and Tools
- Quality Management and Assurance
- Security/Information and Application Protection
- Service Management Processes
- Systems Design
- Systems Integration and Porting
Compensation: Salaries for people entering this role typically start between $57,100 and $68,500, commensurate with relevant qualifications and experiences. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.