Director, Development - Los Angeles
At Hudson Pacific Properties, we develop, own, and operate best-in-class office and studio space to the biggest names in tech and entertainment (Netflix, Google, Amazon), and we're looking for an experienced Director of Development to join our team. As a publicly-traded company of 375 employees, we bring together the fast-paced entrepreneurial approach of a small firm with the resources of an established REIT. From redeveloping shopping malls into Google offices to ground up construction for Netflix high rises, many of our projects are at the forefront of innovative design and development. Reporting into the Senior Vice President, Construction & Development, this role will play a critical role as both a direct contributor on projects and a people manager leading teams.
Are you looking to use your project management expertise and exceptional interpersonal skills to support a thriving, forward-thinking company? Join our team!
What You’ll Do
- Manage Pre-Development/Pre-Construction activities with architects, consultants and general contractors. Maintain pricing updates with evolution of construction documents. Manage the value engineering process.
- Supervise and implement pre-construction activities. Develop Request for Proposals (RFPs) and analyze responses from consultants, contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers of equipment and services.
- Negotiate and administer agreements and change orders to architects, contractors and various consultants working with in house counsel and external legal consultants. Develop various exhibits for agreements including but not limited to cost and schedule documentation, site planning requirements, allowances and unit pricing, construction work standards, and insurance requirements.
- Develop and Maintain Construction Budgets including Hard Costs, Soft costs and leasing budgets. Provide monthly reconciliation of budgets with job cost reports and forecasting.
- Develop comprehensive project schedules, including interface of owner, consultants, contractors, suppliers, governmental agencies and departments. Develop construction priority list of all project components, establish building standard items, and conduct construction coordination meetings between owner, designers, and contractors. Monitor, update and manage all schedules throughout the project.
- Develop relationships with all agencies involved with each project. Keep appropriate agencies informed as necessary during project progress. Provide plans and specs to lenders and inspecting architects, and follow up to resolve discrepancies as noted. Collect required documents from designers and contractors for lenders. Provide job progress status reports, monitor insurance policies, and implement punch list procedures.
- Participate in the due diligence process and evaluation of proposed developments and existing building acquisitions.
- Assist Leasing Department, including participation in tenant showings, proposal preparation, the negotiation of tenant leases, and the development of tenant work letters.
- Inspect and review projects to ensure compliance with building and safety codes, and other regulations and obtain all necessary permits and licenses.
- Interpret and explain plans and contract terms to workers and clients, representing the owner.
- Confer with tenants, contactors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, and construction issues.
- Handle payment approvals (billing & invoices), budget tracking and cash flow reports.
- Mentor in-house project managers and provide direction and over-sight with respect to development, redevelopment and reposition projects.
What You’ll Need
- 20+ years of relevant experience including in real estate development or project management at architectural or general contractor firm focused on Type I development for creative spaces for tech, media or entertainment clients
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field.
- Thorough technical knowledge of all aspects of commercial office building construction and strong working knowledge of California building requirements preferred.
- Excellent computer skills and demonstrated working knowledge of computers and software including MS Windows, Word, PowerPoint. Proficient in using MS Project for management and Excel for budgets and spreadsheets.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills including giving public presentations, leading teams, and building positive relationships with others.
- Ability to stay focused and meet deadlines in fast-paced environment without sacrificing accuracy.
- Availability to work full-time onsite at Los Angeles headquarters and availability to travel up to 50%.
- LEED certification
Application Note: Please submit your resume as a PDF to ensure it comes through correctly in our recruiting system. Thank you!
Hudson Pacific Properties (NYSE:HPP) is a visionary real estate investment trust that owns and operates more than 19 million square feet of marquee office and studio properties. Focused on premier West Coast epicenters of innovation, media and technology, its anchor tenants include Fortune 500 and leading growth companies such as Netflix, Google, Square, Uber, NFL Enterprises and more.