Lead Software Engineer (Investor)
Funding Circle was created with one mission: to revolutionise the broken financial system and change small business finance!
We've created the leading online marketplace for small business loans that directly connect credit worthy businesses with investors wanting attractive returns.
In just eight years, 80,000 Funding Circle investors have lent £5 billion to 50,000 businesses across the world. In 2017 alone lending through our platform created and sustained 75,000 jobs worldwide and contributed £4 billion to the global economy
Engineering at Funding Circle
The driving force behind the world’s leading platform for small business lending is our engineering team. We are a diverse group from more than 25 different countries and cultures who bring together a wide range of backgrounds and experience (from music to aerospace engineering).
We are focused entirely on using technology to provide the best experience for our borrowers and investors. We are doing this by building elegant, sustainable, and scalable solutions that can be applied globally. We work in small agile teams practicing continuous integration, TDD and are no strangers to pairing as we believe that working together is smarter than sitting in silos.
The Manager role is a hybrid role that encompasses both leadership and hands-on engineering. Under the guidance of your Engineering Manager, you will be expected to support the team and effectively manage the careers of people. You’ll also be expected to spend approximately 50% of your time in hands-on engineering, such as coding. In addition to the people aspects of the role, a Manager I uses their knowledge of delivery and software engineering best practices to shape the team’s methodology, deliver on the strategic direction for engineering processes, and build a strong and trusting relationship with the product and/or other teams.
The manager is expected to have strong technical delivery skills, to coordinate the team and make sure people are working on the right stories in the right way. They focus on the whole team’s productivity and strive to increase the impact of the team’s work product. They are empowered to make independent decisions for the team and expected to grow the ability to handle difficult management and leadership situations.
Team and People:
- Identification and provisioning of training needs for the people in the team
- Provide input for the Engineering Manager to ensure the appropriate team shape, levels of experience/capability and fulfilment of roles
- 1-1’s and performance reviews with team members
- Team member development (Under guidance of the engineering manager as required)
- Mentoring junior members
- Make sure the team is productive
- Participate in the recruitment process for their teams
- Champion engineering standards and best practise and ensure teams are following them
- Responsible for high level designs and analysis for the projects the team is involved in
- Ensure tech design supports product direction
- Partners effectively with product to manage scope and deliverables for the technical side of the product roadmap
- Responsible that the commitments made by the team are achieved
- Working with other technical leaders and architects to find, own and solve shared engineering concerns
- Escalating risks where needed
- Being a team representative and communicator
Technical Knowledge expectations:
- Experience within Full stack teams experienced on building full production applications.
- Familiarity with Docker, AWS, and Circle CI
- Github or other open source code control tools/systems.
- Experience in collaborating with product teams and business teams, ensuring code quality and iterative lean delivery
Why Join Us?
Happy employees are productive employees, that’s why we offer a hearty benefits package including:
- Our employees make our mission a reality, and we want you to share in the companies success by offering generous shares.
- Cool kit - Mac or PC
- Private healthcare, pension and healthcare cash back schemes
- Discounted onsite gym membership
- Learning and development through FC Academy
- Personal development funding
- Flexible working
- Free breakfast, barista coffee and discounted hot lunch at our Funderbar!
- We are a regular host of Meet-Ups and events.
- Company wide socials
At Funding Circle, we celebrate and support the differences that make you, you. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We truly believe that diversity makes us better.