Underwriter - SME Lending
Who are we?
We want to help small businesses win. That’s why we’re here.
We connect small business owners to investors – to create jobs, help families and power economies – because we believe that people are made to do more. And we want to help them get the finance they need to thrive, creating thousands of jobs as they drive the economy forward. .
So, we created the leading online marketplace for small business loans. Our investors have lent £13.7 billion in 171,000 loans to 122,000 small business owners. In a single year, we unlocked 100,000 jobs and contributed £7.2 billion to the UK economy. There’s never been a better time to join!
Be part of the team that changes everything. Let’s build the place where small businesses can get the funding they need to win and leave a legacy behind, forever.
What you will be doing:
- Analyse data (annual accounts, bank statements, credit reference agency data) to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit to SME borrowers on a loan-by-loan basis
- Enhance the quality of loan decisions by integrating market, industry, and portfolio insights into your credit decision
- Further your knowledge of UK SMEs, incl. accounting practices, industry and financing standards, payment behaviour and relevant legal aspects to help us evaluating credit risk correctly
- Provide a best-in-class experience for our borrowers by reviewing all loan applications efficiently and in accordance with our internal quality standards
- Contribute to the ongoing development of systems, processes and business practices by sharing recommendations to improve efficiency and capacity
- Advise and guide colleagues to ensure that commercial opportunities are maximised without compromising Funding Circle’s risk management
- Experience in credit analysis (Ideally SME lending)
- Strong analytical, decision-making, and communication skills
- A firm understanding of UK accounting standards
- An inquisitive mind-set, openness to change, willingness to challenge the status quo and a great work ethic
Why should you join us?
We’re gearing up for our biggest chapter yet – and it’s being driven by all of our Circlers.
We think of ourselves as the career launchpad. A place to develop yourself, fast. Real work. Real experience. Real opportunities to collect skills. Think big remits and huge ownership to make great things happen.
Yes, it’s target-driven and high-octane – but we like to play hard too. That’s what makes us, us. Our vibrant culture is built around potential and creating a place where you can really be you. We keep it agile and open. All voices heard. Because we believe great ideas come from everywhere.
If you show skill and are willing, we’ll back you all the way. This is the place for you to build something incredible.
It’s in our differences that we find our strengths.
At Funding Circle, we celebrate and support the differences that make you, you. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We truly believe that diversity makes us better. We particularly encourage applications from applicants from underrepresented backgrounds. We will consider flexible working options; please talk to us to discuss how we could make this role flexible for you.
Want to Build The Incredible? We’d love to hear from you.