Vice President, Engineering
Who We Are
Edmodo is a platform for lifelong learning with over 100M+ registered users and 400k+ schools in 192 countries. We provide flexible digital spaces for teachers to engage 21st century learners in a meaningful classroom community.
We’re a company of people who know what education makes possible. By creating technology for classrooms across the world, we’re making learning better, smarter, and easier than ever before. And with over 700 million resources shared, teachers, students and parents can find anything they need to help inspire the next generation of doers, makers, and leaders.
Edmodo has been a top community for teachers and students for over a decade. As distance learning solutions become a necessity for schools, Edmodo has seen an explosion in growth and a critical demand for large-scale deployments of our technology across school districts and entire countries.
We’re looking for a VP of Engineering to manage a team of talented engineers, driving a roadmap that will support our massive scale while also acting as a partner to our sales and product teams, innovating products that support the mission of building lifelong learners in a time when technological innovation is needed most.
What We Need
- Strong communication skills: You know how to set goals and communicate priorities downward, and can escalate risks and requirements at an executive-level view to get your team what it needs.
- Experience managing teams across time zones and skill levels: You know how to establish processes and build an infrastructure to effectively scale an offshore team of developers alongside a team of skilled local engineers.
- Experience across both B2B and Consumer: You have experience delivering technology in a B2B environment, and know how to scope and deliver enterprise deployments on a schedule--but you appreciate the importance of building usable products and true solutions to support our customers, educators, and students.
- An entrepreneurial mindset: We are reinventing our business to answer the demand for Distance Learning tools in a new environment; you’re excited to be building and experimenting with tools like a startup, but understand how to operate with the care of a platform with 5 million DAUs that depend on our technology to deliver a critical service.
- A Mission-Driven motivation: Many of our employees are children of or married to educators, and more are former educators themselves. You believe in the importance of education and a passion for learning is core to your DNA.
What You Have
- 15+ years in progressive engineering management roles, with experience overseeing Engineering, QA, DevOps, and Data teams.
- 10+ years developing enterprise SaaS solutions, especially familiar with freemium products and e-commerce features like payment services.
- Built and led high-performing development teams with a track record of delivering new products and optimizing legacy products.
- Experience innovating on flexible technical architecture and addressing technical debt.
- The ability to identify, design, and architect data capability through process improvements, optimizing data delivery and re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability across multiple cloud based data centers.
- Guided teams in leveraging data science, machine learning, and other analytical techniques to offer actionable insights.
- Familiarity with security and privacy issues, as well as regulatory frameworks, such as GDPR, PII and COPPA.
- A proven ability to successfully execute against strategy in tandem with other functions including Product Management, Sales, Marketing, Customer Success, Finance, and Leadership.
- Report on the technical posture of the organization, especially as it relates to talent management, to executive leadership.
- A passion for building products that leverage technology to improve structural areas of society—FinTech, HealthTech, and of course, EdTech—a major plus.
Because of our Mission
We work to connect all learners with the people and resources they need to reach their full potential. Over the last twelve years as the classroom itself has become so much more than a physical space, we’ve developed some amazing technology that teachers love and depend on. But we know we have so much more to do and we’re always looking ahead to how we can improve the learning outcomes of entire communities.
And our Values
We believe EdTech has the power to improve education and enrich the lives of everyone in the education community, no matter where they might live, work, or play. We put the needs of teachers and learners first in everything we build and do.
- We Listen: to our users, to our data, and to each other
- We Learn: by being open-minded, asking questions, and continuously improving
- We Level-Set: by sharing information, working towards alignment, and by seeking different perspectives
- We Lead: by holding ourselves accountable, owning our actions, apologizing for our mistakes and moving on
We’re based in the Bay Area, but plan to stay remote for the foreseeable future, and have a largely distributed team. We’re open to applicants from across all timezones.