Staff Attorney, International
Earthjustice is now accepting applications for a staff attorney position to join our growing team of lawyers who work to speed the transition from dirty fossil fuels to clean energy solutions in key countries around the world. The attorney will collaborate with our foreign partners to develop and implement legal strategies to stop the extraction, export, and consumption of coal and natural gas, and to ensure regulatory frameworks to accelerate the deployment of clean energy, in key countries and regions around the world.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a long track record of success in partnering across borders to use US, foreign, and international law to protect the global environment. Drawing on deep experience in international human rights law, international environmental law, and foreign and international litigation, our International Program works with partners around the world on domestic and international legal advocacy to reduce dependence on dirty fossil fuels and increase reliance on clean energy resources.
Although it is our strong preference that this position be located in San Francisco, CA, where our International Program is based, another location might be considered in exceptional circumstances.
- Work with foreign partners and Earthjustice colleagues to develop and implement cases and legal advocacy strategies to support program goals in Australia, Indonesia, and elsewhere.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with foreign and US allies, co-counsel, clients and coalition partners in support of program goals.
- Serve as spokesperson for the International Program and for Earthjustice.
- Supervise the work of associate attorneys, clerks and interns.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications and Development.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) degree or equivalent non-US law degree.
- A minimum of six years of litigation or legal advocacy experience.
- Licensed to practice law in the US jurisdiction in which the attorney will be located, or a willingness and qualifications to apply for membership within one year of employment.
- Excellent litigation or legal advocacy skills, including in legal research, writing and oral advocacy.
- Knowledge of and experience in Australian, Indonesian, international, human rights, environmental, and/or energy law.
- Proficiency in working with technical experts.
- Experience working in cross-cultural settings.
- Initiative, good judgment, and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with clients, partners and staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain partnerships with community-based or other grassroots groups.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally as needed.
- Commitment to serving the public interest.
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Commitment to help create a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce and culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
The ideal candidate will also have substantial experience working in another country, contributing to the development of government policies or regulations, and/or professional fluency in a foreign language.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $148,500+
For litigators and legal advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, Staff Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet. Learn more about our Staff Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/staff-attorney.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses at least the following subjects: (1) why you are drawn to this position and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; and (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
- Writing sample that demonstrates your own legal analysis and writing (i.e., not jointly written with or edited by other people).
- List of three references.
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application.
No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.