Mechanical Engineer Intern - Summer 2023 (full-time)
Digital Control Incorporated (DCI) is the world’s leading supplier of underground locating and steering products for the horizontal directional drilling (HDD) industry. Since the introduction of this revolutionary technology 30 years ago, Digital Control has been at the forefront of trenchless technologies that enable the efficient installation of underground utilities such as fiber optic, telecom, gas, and water lines world-wide. DCI’s products are valued for their durable design, ease of use and uncompromising commitment to customer service.
We have an exciting opportunity in the Mechanical Engineering team for a full-time Summer 2023 Intern. This internship is primarily based out of our headquarters in Kent, WA. If you are passionate about designing, developing, and testing mechanical components, and you are looking to gain hands-on experience, then DCI could be the perfect place for your Summer Internship!
- Paid internship -$25 per hour
- PTO (accrue 6.77 hours per bi-weekly paycheck)
- Paid holidays plus 1 floating holiday
- Free convenient parking and commuter benefits
- Located in a quiet business park near walking trail
What you’ll do:
- Use Mechanical Engineering knowledge to design, development, and test mechanical components
- Learn in a fast-paced environment and apply your skills to make an impact to the HDD industry
- Receive direct coaching and direction from Sr. Mechanical Engineering team members
- Use standard calculation and/or software to understand and validate the designs
- Create rapid prototypes using inhouse 3D printers
- Access to machine shop tools to build your design (Mill, Lathe and more)
- Lead physical testing and validation of the design
Who you are:
- Pursuing a B.S. in Mechanical engineering with Junior or Senior level credits.
- Basic Knowledge of ME techniques
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented
- An inquisitive approach and nature
- Experience with CAD program (SolidWorks preferred)
- Machine shop experience (mill and lathe training desired)
Work hard, play often... DCI employees are innovative and creative. Our open (forest-like) work environment creates free flowing conversations across all functions. We have gaming days; Lego challenges and ping pong matches to build on our creativity when one hits a roadblock. If that is not enough, our employees bring their four-legged companions (dogs) to work and can take them for a walk around the Green River trail.
DCI takes pride in caring a lot about our employees. We believe that employees should not be burdened with benefits expenses, so we provide lucrative health care plans unmatched in most other companies. We also like to eat at DCI and find any excuse to celebrate the most random holidays (Pi Day, Chocolate Ice Cream Day, etc.) We have monthly catered lunches, a fully stocked snack area, sporting tickets, wellness competitions, and most importantly a team of people who will tell you that DCI is the best place they've ever worked. This is evident by our long service team and low turnover.
We celebrate inclusion.
DCI is an equal opportunity employer. Employment at DCI is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. DCI does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding), or any other basis protected by law.
It is DCI’s policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity. The Company's EEO policy includes the full & complete support of the Company and all levels of leadership. Because it's just the right thing to do. We hope you think so, too.