Digital Control Incorporated (DCI) is the world’s leading supplier of underground locating and steering products for the horizontal directional drilling (HDD) industry. Since the introduction of this revolutionary technology 30 years ago, Digital Control has been at the forefront of trenchless technologies that enable the efficient installation of underground utilities such as fiber optic, telecom, gas, and water lines world-wide. DCI’s products are valued for their durable design, ease of use and uncompromising commitment to customer service.
We are seeking a Manufacturing Engineer based out of our headquarters in Kent, WA to design and develop our manufacturing processes, equipment, and products, ensuring they continue to live up to DCI’s high standards and exceed the expectations of our global customers. If you are passionate about innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement, then DCI could be a perfect fit for you!
- Unparalleled health benefits (PPO plan with no co-pays, no deductibles, employer covers 99% of costs)
- Quarterly bonuses: we all share in the success of the company
- 401k match (3% match from DCI regardless of participation, 5% maximum match, 100% vested immediately)
- 22 days PTO
- Professional development
- Dog-friendly work environment
- Parental leave
- Company covers 100% of payroll taxes for state family medical leave
- 11 annual paid holidays plus 1 floating holiday
- Winter break (we are closed the last week of each year)
- Free convenient parking and commuter benefits
- Located in a quiet business park near walking trail
What You’ll Do:
- Act as a technical support resource and collaborate cross-functionally with supply chain, production, quality, design engineering, product management, and senior leadership teams
- Provide analysis and input into engineering design to ensure manufacturability, completeness, and compliance to quality standards for new product introductions
- Investigate, devise, and implement plans to increase the efficiency of assembly and testing methods, systems, processes, and people
- Engage in the selection and development of tooling, fixtures, machinery, and equipment used in assembly and testing operations
- Research and establish best practices, create, and maintain operating procedures, standard work instructions, and safety guidelines
- Gather and use data, monitor, and conduct analysis of manufacturing processes, production workflows, space requirements, and equipment layout to meet quality, productivity, and cost objectives
- Analyze customer performance feedback, failures incidents, and service repairs to define and implement improvements to existing product designs and production methods
- Provide technical support and guidance to supplier partners, participate in audits, and evaluate first-article materials and parts according to specifications and quality standards
- Document, and implement engineering change orders, design variations, and non-standard production requests
- Mitigate impact of obsolete or unavailable parts by identifying, investigating, and working with suppliers and engineering teams to select and qualify alternate components or supply chain strategies
- Develop, maintain, and enhance automated equipment, processes, and control systems for the manufacturing environment
- Lead and/or support continuous improvement projects and the implementation of Lean Manufacturing principles
- Advance manufacturing engineering knowledge by studying industry trends and developments, pursuing educational opportunities, reading technical publications, networking, and participating in professional organizations
- Exemplify and contribute to a safe and healthy work environment
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering - industrial, mechanical, electrical, or related field
- 2+ years of relevant manufacturing, design, or quality engineering-related work experience in technical product or electromechanical assembly environment
- Good working knowledge of mechanical, electrical, electronic, and/or industrial engineering disciplines
- Aptitude for creating, interpreting, and controlling engineering, quality, and manufacturing drawings and documents
- Working knowledge of machining, injection molding, and circuit board manufacturing processes
- Familiarity with Design for Manufacturability (DFM) practices
- Training and/or practical application of Lean Six Sigma and Continuous Improvement methodologies and tools
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal and cross-functional collaboration abilities
- Effective, professional written/ oral communication and presentation skills
- Hands-on fabrication/ building experience and including use of machine shop tools
- Experience with 3D printing and/or various rapid prototyping technologies
- Experience with SolidWorks PDM and LabView
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office software and enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems
Work hard, play often... DCI employees are innovative and creative. Our open (forest-like) work environment creates free flowing conversations across all functions. We have gaming days; Lego challenges and ping pong matches to build on our creativity when one hits a roadblock. If that is not enough, our employees bring their four-legged companions (dogs) to work and can take them for a walk around the Green River trail.
DCI takes pride in caring a lot about our employees. We believe that employees should not be burdened with benefits expenses, so we provide lucrative health care plans unmatched in most other companies. We also like to eat at DCI and find any excuse to celebrate the most random holidays (Pi Day, Chocolate Ice Cream Day, etc.) We have monthly catered lunches, a fully stocked snack area, sporting tickets, wellness competitions, and most importantly a team of people who will tell you that DCI is the best place they've ever worked. This is evident by our long service team and low turnover.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
DCI requires candidates to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or to qualify for a legally permissible exemption/reasonable accommodation.
We Celebrate Inclusion:
DCI is an equal opportunity employer. Employment at DCI is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. DCI does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding), or any other basis protected by law.
It is DCI’s policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity. The Company's EEO policy includes the full & complete support of the Company and all levels of leadership. Because it's just the right thing to do. We hope you think so, too.