Head of Government Affairs and Policy
Head of Government Affairs and Policy
Location: US Remote
Chegg is looking for a Head of Government Affairs and Policy to join our strong and growing legal department and management team. This position will report to the General Counsel and will oversee all of Chegg’s government affairs, regulatory and policy initiatives.
The Head of Government Affairs and Policy will create and direct Chegg’s strategy on policy, regulatory matters, and government affairs at the Federal, State, and local levels of government across the United States and will help Chegg navigate its international expansion. The Head of Government Affairs and Policy will assist Chegg in identifying legislative and other policy trends and execute on Chegg’s government relations strategy; execution may also involve hiring and directing outside consultants, and developing a small internal team, as necessary. The Head of Policy and Government Affairs will also develop and maintain key relationships with government officials, as well as with leading trade associations, education and technology leaders, public and private educational systems, think-tanks, and other relevant third-party organizations.
The ideal candidate should be prepared to work in a fast-paced environment and must be able to collaborate with the C-team, Board of Directors, and internal and external stakeholders. Additionally, exceptional judgment, business acumen, discretion, communication skills, the ability to empathize, and strong relationship-building skills are a must.
- Establish Chegg's government affairs and policy practice by implementing a global government relations strategic plan for legislative and regulatory issues at the Federal, State, local and international levels.
- Serve as an effective advocate for Chegg on key policy and political matters and craft positions for Chegg that will establish it publicly as a thought leader and innovator
- Maintain fluency on all legislative, regulatory policy issues impacting education and ed-tech sectors.
- Develop a nuanced understanding of Chegg’s current and future products and services, and assess key legislative, policy, and regulatory risks and opportunities.
- Execute strategies for engaging government officials, legislative staff, policy groups, regulators, consumer groups, business partners, and industry associations.
- Monitor and anticipate, legislative and regulatory policy activities to develop recommendations and prepare communications for the C-team and Board to strategically shape Chegg’s positions, advocacy, and response.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key elected officials, legislative staff, and policy groups to increase Chegg’s visibility, presence, and influence in government.
- Work cross-functionally with various teams including product/content, business development, engineering, and communications.
- Evaluate and manage Chegg's involvement with external consultants and other third-party advocates.
- Represent Chegg in relevant legislative and regulatory hearings, meetings, and conferences.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience with government affairs, public policy, or government relations in both the public and private sector (education, ed-tech, and/or technology sector strongly preferred).
- Experience developing and implementing a government affairs and policy program, and persuasively communicating and advocating for company positions and policies through the legislative process.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with government officials, including advocating before Congress and/or the Executive Branch on behalf of public interest, trades associations, or any other interest groups.
- Has developed and maintained an extensive network of government, policy, and regulatory contacts.
- Is comfortable working independently and has a “roll up your sleeves” attitude to getting things done.
- Deep understanding of the U.S. public policy environment, including the entities within the U.S. Congress, Department of Education, Executive Branch, as well as at the state and local level that most directly impact Chegg.
- The ability to integrate government affairs and public policy with business strategy.
- A bias towards execution and a strong mission-driven ethos.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, multi-task in a fast-paced environment, adjust to rapidly changing priorities and drive strategic projects to successful delivery.
- Ability to distill complex ideas into simple and easily understandable concepts, and communicate these ideas clearly, accurately, and persuasively in verbal and written form to internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven track record of effectively working cross-functionally and cross-culturally with partners at all levels.
- Excellent ability to collaborate with, motivate and engage others.
- Extraordinary analytical ability and advocacy skills, and effective verbal and written communication skills.
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study which supplements their learning through 24/7 tutor access, step-by-step help with questions, and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California, and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, Chegg Writing, Chegg Internships, Thinkful Online Learning, and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.
Video Shorts - Life at Chegg: https://jobs.chegg.com/Video-Shorts-Chegg-Services
Certified Great Place to Work!: http://reviews.greatplacetowork.com/chegg
Chegg Corporate Career Page: https://jobs.chegg.com/
Chegg India: http://www.cheggindia.com/
Chegg Israel: http://insider.geektime.co.il/organizations/chegg
Thinkful (a Chegg Online Learning Service): https://www.thinkful.com/about/#careers
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer