Lead Material Artist
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity is an exclusive, independent Austin developer comprised of a tightly-knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Lead Material Artist at Certain Affinity, you will work with a small team of Material Artists to create highly detailed materials, masks, and textures for characters, game environments, and world assets.
- Work closely with the project Art Director to develop, plan and create materials to a consistent and high visual quality
- Create the quality standard for physically based Materials/Textures for use with props, environments, and characters
- Define and maintain proper pipeline for materials
- Provide clear and consistent feedback to the material team
- Conduct 1-1s, mentorship, and career development of the material team
- Proactively work across disciplines to meet the needs of the project
- Portfolio demonstrating a wide variety of materials using both procedural and 3d sculpted techniques
- Able to use 3D and/or procedural techniques to create high-quality materials within production timelines
- Portfolio demonstrating tiled textures and 0-1 UV mapped assets- assets must show strong attention to detail, focusing on believability and overall esthetic composition
- Experience leading a team on AAA development
- Solid understanding of PBR standards and surface/light interactions
- Strong understanding of foliage creation
- Strong knowledge in Substance Designer, UE4, Maya, and Zbrush
- Solid understanding of color theory and be able to create balanced and appealing color palettes
- Must be punctual, diligent, articulate, and organized
- Experience in all phases of project development
- Shipped 1+ AAA title as an environment artist
- Proficiency with Shaders
- Experience using proprietary editors, software, and tools
- Experience with photogrammetry techniques
- Bachelor’s degree in Art or related field
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity is authorized to do business in many, but not all, of the states in the US and the Canadian provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Certain Affinity is registered, you may not be eligible for employment as a fully remote employee. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where we are registered.