Lead Level Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and we have a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We are also excited to be the latest recipient of the Canadian Studio of the Year award. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
As Lead Level Designer at Certain Affinity, you are responsible for creating, managing, and directing the levels for AAA shooters. You will work extensively with the mission, gameplay, and world teams to develop requirements for in-game spaces. Your wide range of skills encompasses both the creative and technical worlds, allowing you to successfully arrange and balance the flow of game spaces so that both players, AI, and mission systems have cohesive experience.
If you have extensive experience creating and directing level designs, considerable leadership experience, are eager to have an impact, motivated to support the needs of both development teams and external partners, and are open to new challenges, we’d like to hear from you. We are working on some really exciting projects and would love to see if we are a match!
- Create, direct and manage the development of game levels for an AAA shooter
- Ensure the convergence of levels and gameplay loops to eliminate friction for the player experience
- Define and drive quality with regards to the flow of created game spaces
- Collaborate with the development team to brainstorm creative ways to implement and showcase the game’s core mechanics through level design
- Drive the design and creative process for game levels, working with other teams to create objectives, challenges, puzzles, and events that fit within game spaces
- Collaborate with the narrative and mission team of designers, engineers, cinematic artists, and writers to ensure the local and overarching narrative is being told in the levels
- Assist the Lead Game Designer in reviewing levels, as well as full builds of the game and providing weekly feedback to the project leads and development team
- Help drive playtests to gather critical level feedback from players and develop a plan of action to address issues
- At least 5 years of experience as a level designer and 2 years of experience as a manager in game development
- Shipped at least one AAA Shooter PC or console title in a Lead Level Designer role
- Experience leading and supporting a quality-driven team
- A thorough grasp of good level design principles (difficulty, risk, and reward, pacing, tension, etc.)
- Proven ability supporting narrative through level design
- Ability to use world-building tools such as UnrealEd, Radiant, Max, and/or Maya
- Experience with advanced scripting or coding
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and methodology
- Ability to collaborate with cross-discipline teams including art, audio, engineering, and narrative
- Thrives in a highly iterative, highly collaborative environment
- Passionate about gaming and game development
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas.
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.