Senior Technical Animator
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and we have a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We are also excited to be the latest recipient of the Canadian Studio of the Year award. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
As a Senior Technical Animator (Rigger) at Certain Affinity, you'll get the chance to see some of the custom 3D tools and pipelines behind the world's biggest shooters and contribute to our proprietary technology. This role requires an energetic individual to take a hands-on approach to our studio art team's pipeline management and tools creation.
If you desire to create world-class characters and enjoy technical work, we'd like to hear from you.
- Collaborate with animators, tech animators, character artists, and tools programmers to develop animation rigs and pipelines for characters, vehicles, and props
- In-depth knowledge of the Unreal game engine (or similar engine) for setting up characters, control rigs, simulation, and blueprints
- Support the modeling and animation teams by advising on topology & deformation, maintaining rigs and pipelines, troubleshooting, and implementing desired functionality
- R&D of new technology the game might require in Maya and Unreal
- Maximize aesthetic quality while respecting and enforcing project performance constraints
- Explore, document, promote, and integrate cutting-edge processes and techniques to help keep studio animation quality competitive
- Mentor and train junior tech animators and animators
- Seek ways to improve and streamline art pipelines, drive quality, and improve team efficiency
- 5+ years experience in rigging and skinning characters, creatures, vehicles, and props
- Expert-level proficiency with Autodesk Maya
- Strong foundation of Python scripting for extending content creation tools and automating tasks
- Possess an approachable, customer-oriented demeanor
- Strong communication skills and desire to collaborate with art, design, and engineering
- Experience in ramping up an animation team in a variety of engines and toolsets
- Experience with motion capture systems within Motionbuilder
- Animation key-framing
- Knowledge of C++ or C#
- Experience writing Maya plug-ins
- Strong knowledge of facial rigging and deformation
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity is authorized to do business in many, but not all, of the states in the US and the Canadian provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Certain Affinity is registered, you may not be eligible for employment as a fully remote employee. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where we are registered.