Lead Lighting Artist
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas, and we opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada last year. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Lead Lighting Artist at Certain Affinity, you will help work within our multi-discipline art team to drive lighting across multiple projects in line with the art direction of the game. You will be using the latest techniques of baked and real-time lighting and post-processing. You will be expected to master the engine and tools to maintain a consistently high-quality level while ensuring artistic and technical constraints are respected.
- Bring the Art Directors' vision to reality while maintaining the needs of level design to create a strong environment and cinematic lighting
- Effectively communicate with Environment art, VFX, and Design teams to create the required look
- Communicate the technical needs of lighting with engineers and tech artists
- Lead and manage the lighting team across multiple projects
- Focus on the skill growth of your team by understanding career development and best practices for helping your artists achieve their goals.
- Know how to use and maintain a PBR pipeline in real-time engines.
- Create lighting using dynamic and baked lighting solutions within commercial and proprietary game engines
- Manage lighting performance and maintain frame rates in real-time environments using optimization techniques.
- Lead and direct activities and implementation of lighting and pipeline creation
- Be a problem solver. Have the ability to identify problems and propose solutions within a pipeline.
- 6+ years experience in the game industry with at least 3 shipped titles, specifically lighting environments
- Must clearly demonstrate the ability to apply a structured artistic approach to lighting form and space
- Expertise in the use of composition and color
- Solid artistic knowledge of lighting techniques, real-time and pre-rendered
- Working knowledge of PBR workflows and how they affect lighting
- Experience with HDR lighting
- Understanding of the construction and application of materials and shaders
- Extensive knowledge of lighting and atmospherics
- In-depth knowledge of color grading and other post-process effects
- Ability to understand technical constraints and to apply them to the assets/setups created
- Understanding of photography, camera techniques exposure, and light
- Ability to manage time and work within deadlines
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback, implement requested changes, and clearly communicate ideas
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Passion for games and strong game culture
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Coding and shader development a plus
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.