Principal Technical Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
Certain Affinity is seeking a Principal Technical Designer with significant experience scripting gameplay and related systems for both single-player and multiplayer games. As a Principal Technical Designer, you will be part of a team creating and implementing fun and exciting gameplay for AAA action titles. You will have opportunities to script gameplay and related systems, including owning core gameplay systems, missions, and game modes.
- Work closely with the Lead Designer to implement gameplay systems to the high-quality level and product goals of the game
- Own and drive the conception, design, and implementation of engaging gameplay systems (such as weapons, enemies, missions, etc.) while collaborating with feature team members from other disciplines
- Ensures technical expectations for features and systems are clearly articulated and understood across the feature team
- Collaborate with the development team to facilitate idea generation and feature implementation
- Assist in frequent playtesting of levels, game modes, and systems to gather and solicit feedback from internal and external Quality Assurance groups
- Contribute to the department’s technical best practices preparing guidelines, tutorials, and other documentation to improve departmental quality and efficiency
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as a Scripter or Technical Designer, including
- Experience with scripting or programming languages (C++, LUA, Python, etc.)
- Experience with visual scripting languages (Blueprint, etc.)
- A minimum of 2 shipped AAA titles in a Technical or Sr. Technical Design role
- Ability to design new core gameplay mechanics and implement them
- Ability to dissect and understand existing core gameplay and mechanics and implement improvements
- Expert level experience with game editor tools. (Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, etc.)
- Ability to manage hard deadlines while adjusting to changes in a fast-paced environment
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- The ability to mentor jr. and less experienced Technical Designers on a project
- Experience working with Unreal 4
- Player character or enemy AI design experience
- Experience managing or mentoring junior Technical Designers or Scripters
- Extensive experience playing shooters and action games such as Call of Duty, Halo, WarFrame, or Battlefield
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.