Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and we have a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We are also excited to be the latest recipient of the Canadian Studio of the Year award. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
As an Environment Artist at Certain Affinity, you'll have the opportunity to work with our internal team by creating and fine-tuning all elements, including skybox, set dressing, materials, composition, and lighting. Above all else, our environment artists are the artistic advocates for the level and understand all the steps required to bring a world to completion.
- Work with the Project Art Director and concept team to define the map vision
- Collaborate daily with Design to ensure that Art reinforces gameplay
- Work closely with production to define deliverables and communicate expectations to the team
- Clarify goals and facilitate decision making
- Author and direct the creation of "gold standard" environment assets, including materials, props, architecture, flora, terrain, and light schemes
- Work on discrete play-spaces from inception to implementation to final performance optimizations
- Strong foundation knowledge in traditional arts, including but not limited to figure drawing and environmental and/or architectural illustration
- Solid understanding of the aesthetics of the environment, function vs. form relationships, as well as what makes a game level fun and intriguing
- Expert at improvising visual direction when lacking a specific concept or design
- Solid understanding of color theory and the ability to create balanced and appealing scenes
- Able to create current-gen materials and textures.
- Proficient knowledge of Photoshop, Z-Brush, Maya, and/or other 3D software packages
- An aptitude and desire to identify and solve technical issues related to workflow, rendering, and performance
- Excellent understanding of art pipelines and workflows
- Can effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers.
- Appreciation of how the design and composition of an environment affect gameplay
- 2+ years experience in the game industry, specifically modeling, texturing, and lighting environments
- Experience using proprietary editors, software, and tools
- Shipped 1+ AAA title in the last 3 years
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity is authorized to do business in many, but not all, of the states in the US and the Canadian provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Certain Affinity is registered, you may not be eligible for employment as a fully remote employee. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where we are registered.