Lead AI Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and we have a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We are also excited to be the latest recipient of the Canadian Studio of the Year award. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
As a Lead AI Designer at Certain Affinity, you are responsible for creating all the NPCs in the game. You will run a cross-discipline team to craft everything that walks, talks, or attacks, including the suites of enemies, challenging bosses, assorted townsfolk, and helpful companions. Your skills encompass both the creative and technical elements of design, allowing you to create a wide variety of combatants that will be used across a vast number of objectives and missions.
If you have experience creating enemies, bosses, and other NPCs and are eager to have an impact, and are open to new challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- Deliver interesting and varied factions of enemies for both First Person and Third Person Shooters
- Collaborate with other teams – world-building, narrative, character, system designers – to meld all their best content together into a holistic and engaging experience
- Collaborate with the development team to brainstorm creative ways to implement and showcase the game’s core mechanics through varied encounters and bosses
- Collaborate with a narrative team of designers, engineers, cinematic artists, and writers to ensure the local and overarching narrative is being advanced in the NPCs, enemies, and bosses
- Assist in reviewing encounters to deliver both variety of play and consistency of use
- Help drive playtests to gather critical feedback on encounters from players and develop a plan of action to address issues
- Work on original and licensed properties, coordinating with teams and licensors to ensure brand consistency and presentation that reflects the licensors’ needs
- 6+ years of game design experience, including 3+ with AI design experience.
- Shipped at least one AAA Action PC or console title as an AI or encounter designer
- A thorough grasp of good level design principles (difficulty, risk, reward, pacing, tension, etc.)
- Strong experience scripting systems using Unreal Blueprints or scripting languages in a networked game. You must be willing to get your hands dirty implementing and balancing your designs!
- Proven ability to create innovative gameplay systems and to enhance existing ones
- Great collaborator with an uncanny knack for seeing the issues underlying any criticism or complaint
- Passion for playing games and understanding the systems that drive them, especially AAA shooters (1st and 3rd person)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the documentation of technical designs
- Excellent ability to multi-task and to adapt easily to change
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- A desire to work and support a diverse and inclusive environment
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent experience in design, game development, programming, or AI
- Experience with other facets of design (level design, the core gameplay, UX/UI, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple console, PC, and/or mobile platforms
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas.
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.