Manager of Community and Government Relations
The Position: Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, the Manager of Community and Government Relations helps build relationships and collaboration with local, state, and federal officials and local community organizations and their staff to optimize mutual support and collaboration between these stakeholders and CEI. Reviews CEI's strategic plan and implementation strategies in collaboration with local, state, federal agency officials, local community organizations, and their staff to ensure timely execution of the plan and strategies and support of these stakeholder agencies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In collaboration with the CEO and others, plans and executes a comprehensive community and government relations program to support CEI's strategic plan and implement CEI's legislative agenda, including research, developing strategies, educating elected officials, local community organizations, coalition building, and grassroots organizing.
- Represents the organization in community and government matters and directs various phases of supporting relationships and campaigns
- Serves as an advocate on issues concerning the Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), long-term care, Medi-Cal, and Medicare
- Develops relationships with legislators, staff, and advocates for policies impacting older adults and elevates CEI's visibility
- In collaboration with the Director of Fund Development and the Director of Communications, advances CEI’s mission, promotes greater awareness of CEI and advocacy activities.
- Meets with government officials or other external partners to advance positions and advocacy efforts along with the CEO and others
- Directs, develops, coordinates, and advises on internal policies related to external affairs
- Develops relationships with key third-party advocates and engages them in support of issues, policies, and legislative and regulatory actions
- In collaboration with CEO, manages outside consultants and lobbyists, including setting objectives, defining missions and ensuring execution in support of state legislative and local policy strategies.
- Monitors local, state, and federal legislation impacting PACE and other long-term care issues
- Works collaboratively with the CEO on public policy issues and messaging strategies.
- Plans and conducts campaigns under the direction of the CEO toward attaining company goals
- Coordinates implementation of strategies and programs necessary for governmental approval of organization's products and/or services
- In collaboration with the Director of Communication & Planning, plans and executes a comprehensive government relations program to implement CEI's legislative agenda, including research, developing strategies, educating elected officials, coalition building, grassroots organizing, and media outreach efforts
- Assists in the planning and execution of targeted outreach events and policy forums
- Focuses on issues impacting older adults in Alameda and Contra Costa counties
- Attends select CalPACE, Aging Services of California, and LeadingAge meetings as assigned
- In addition to the Duties and Responsibilities outlined above, this position is expected to perform other duties as assigned in a positive and helpful manner
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in nonprofit management, communications, marketing, public relations or a related field.
- Advanced degree preferred as a Policy Director, Legislative Director, Deputy of Staff, and/or other similar relevant background
- Minimum three years' experience in health care policy required. Experience working in or with California state government preferred.
- Experience designing and implementing comprehensive community and government relations campaigns
- Experience at the staff level for an elected official (local, state, or federal level) is desirable
- Experience on political campaigns, PACs, or other similar organizations is preferred
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Self-starter and goal-orientated professional with strong planning skills
Center for Elders’ Independence is a PACE (Program of All- Inclusive Care for the Elderly) organization that uses an interdisciplinary team approach to care planning and care implementation for the purpose of providing high quality, affordable, integrated health care services to the elderly, including an Adult Day Health Center, and promoting autonomy, quality of life and the ability of individuals to live in their communities. Unlike other healthcare plans, CEI is not a "fee-for-service" plan. It is a a “capitation” healthcare plan. CEI is paid a set amount for each person enrolled in our program, whether or not that individual seeks care. We are a growing company that offers stability and continues to thrive.