Are you passionate about designing scalable, high-performance, flexible software platforms? If yes, then you could be our new Software Architect! This is a fantastic opportunity for a growth and architecture enthusiast to excel and grow their career.
At CARFAX Canada, we’re more than just obsessed with cars. We’re obsessed with data and using it to help millions of Canadians buy, sell and maintain cars - but you can learn that on our website. Let’s talk about the sweet perks you’ll get when working here (i.e. what you actually want to know): Some days you’ll be taking in-house leadership training courses, other days you’ll be listening to our employee podcast while eating lunch paid for using an Uber Eats voucher. Grab a seat in the state-of-the-art office in 100 Kellogg Lane and collaborate the day away? What’s that, it’s the summer? Well, the 4-day work weeks have kicked in; enjoy those extra paid days off! Why not use one of your paid volunteer days to give back to your community? What else can we list? Competitive wages, amazing benefits, yearly performance-based bonuses, RRSP matching, health and wellness programs, a literal award-winning culture, parental leave top-ups and all kinds of social events. To top all of this off, every day you get to choose how you get to do meaningful work with incredible people. So, looks like we’re obsessed with a few things here – data and our people!
Reporting to the Director Application Development, this position provides architectural and thought leadership at the enterprise, portfolio, product levels. It covers all architecture domains for a particular portfolio/product/project(s), including the overall architecture, SW/Application architecture, data architecture, security architecture, and cloud architecture.
The successful candidate will own our organizational solution architecture at a portfolio level, including all projects/products in the specific portfolio, working closely with our Product Team, Data Team, Technical Operations Team, Development Team, and Project Management Office.
- Key areas of influence will include performance management, testing, security, deployment and integration, and machine learning
- Responsible for ensuring CARFAX Canada’s Enterprise Architecture is scalable, including the right technology stack (e.g. platform, languages, libraries, frameworks, etc.) while integrating new architectural practices to be an integral part of the SDLC
- Provide architectural blueprints, standards, designs, and reviews
- Act as a high-level decision maker for technical direction and standards
- Cultivate key architecture principles such as decoupling, microservices, building blocks and re-use
- Ensure that each solution is thorough, conduct impact analysis and discover and leverage opportunities for re-use
- Evaluate and recommend tools, technologies and processes to ensure the highest quality product platform
- Identify and take ownership of technical project risks and issues, and propose mitigation strategies and resolution of issues
- Recognize potential reuse of components by observing and understanding the broader system environment
- Be aware of stakeholders’ development plans for the application and how the architecture does not hinder this roadmap
- Provide technical leadership for the implementation and development team
- Present solutions and investigate technology options while actively consulting on the implementation of the solution
- Communicate to development teams so they quickly understand and see the value in the architecture
- Conceptualize and experiment with alternative architectural approaches
- Perform higher-level code reviews from an architecture, performance, and security standpoint
- Research and develop solutions to problems and supply the information in technical documents and meetings
- Work closely with the product team with a particular focus on understanding the product roadmap and compile solutions to create new product/features/capabilities
- Be the technical SME for all engineering projects and initiatives that need to be delivered, cross-functionally
Education and Experience Required:
- University degree in engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 12+ years expertise designing technology solution that optimize and advance business function
- Strong background in Enterprise architecture using TOGAF framework
- In depth experience in application/software architecture domain is very highly recommended
- Strong leadership skills are required to infuse and align the cross-function teams with a common vision and to motivate them support the proposed solution
- Exceptional skills in spoken, written, and graphical communications
- Knowledge of a broad base of programming languages including C#, C, C++ and derivatives
- Extensive experience in Microservice architecture, serverless and DevOps principles and methodologies
- Strong familiarity with a broad base of Information Technology, including network, server, database, high availability, disaster recovery, cloud-based technologies, Infrastructure as a Service, virtualization, Infrastructure as a code and containerization technologies
- Knowledge of cloud integration platforms, such as platform as a service
- Knowledge of mobile based technologies as well as how they affect cloud-based architecture solutions
- Knowledge of Performance, CI, CD, automated testing, and quality methodologies
- Cloud extensive knowledge, preferably Azure
- Familiarity with Confluence, JIRA, and git as well as working in an agile scrum methodology
- SQL and noSQL expertise
- Security and privacy knowledge, and how to properly implement and review
- Design documentation systems such as UML
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior organizational and planning skills
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit our website. https://www.carfax.ca/about-carfax/work-at-carfax. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is hired.
We’re committed to providing accommodations by request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. For a confidential inquiry or to request an accommodation, please contact your recruiter or email [email protected].
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CARFAX’s mission is to help millions of people shop, buy, service and sell used cars with more confidence. As a leader in vehicle history and valuation, CARFAX provides impartial and comprehensive information for consumers and the automotive industry. CARFAX‘s Canadian headquarters in London, Ontario supports Canadian and U.S. markets, drawing on billions of data records from thousands of sources, enabling used vehicle buyers and sellers to make informed decisions. CARFAX is consistently recognized as a top employer and business. CARFAX is a part of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI). Find out more at www.carfax.ca and connect with CARFAX on Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.