Data Architect - CARFAX Canada
At CARFAX Canada, we’re more than just obsessed with cars. We’re obsessed with data and using it to help millions of Canadians buy, sell and maintain cars - but you can learn that on our website. Let’s talk about the sweet perks you’ll get when working here (i.e. what you actually want to know): Some days you’ll be taking in-house leadership training courses, other days you’ll be eating a catered lunch with your team mates. Grab a seat in the state-of-the-art office at 100 Kellogg Lane and collaborate the day away. What’s that, it’s the summer? Well, the 4-day work weeks have kicked in; enjoy those extra paid days off! Why not use one of your paid volunteer days to give back to your community? What else can we list? Competitive wages, amazing benefits like a wellness spending fund, a company-matched pension program, monthly “work from anywhere” days, yearly performance-based bonuses, health and wellness programs, a literal award-winning culture, parental leave top-ups and all kinds of social events. To top all of this off, every day you get to choose how you get to do meaningful work with incredible people. So, looks like we’re obsessed with a few things here – data and our people!
CARFAX Canada is excited to announce the position of Data Architect. In this role you will work on-site from our London, Ontario office and report to the Solutions Architect.
As a Data Architect, you will conceive a vision for our data environment that will sustain our growth and product directions and create a detailed and aligned plan to achieve that vision. The Data Architect will consult with stakeholders to understand current state and recommend solutions to improve new and existing databases.
The Data Architect will provide thought leadership in data management, as well as being hands on and help build our data environment.
- Deliver scalable and reliable data solutions leveraging Azure, Databricks, traditional RDBMS, and BI tools.
- Translate strategic requirements into a usable data architecture, which includes data model, associated metadata, data linage, and taxonomies to guide product development.
- Ensure data is organized, and structured in a way that promotes data quality, security, and accessibility, which are essential aspects of data governance.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, such as data owners, data stewards, and IT teams, to ensure that the organization meets data governance requirements.
- Ensure compliance with industry regulations and privacy laws, such as PIPEDA, by designing data architecture that adheres to these requirements.
- Provide guidance and assist in implementing data governance best practices, and procedures.
- Document data frameworks, principles, and standards.
- Act as a high-level decision maker for data related technical direction and standards relating to data related projects.
- Provide technical leadership for the implementation and development team.
- Present the solutions and investigate technology options.
- Actively consult on the implementation of solutions, explaining the rationale behind choices, and make amendments to the solution as required.
- Perform research to find solutions to data related problems by distilling information in the form of technical documents and meetings.
Education and Experience Required
- University degree in computer engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years expertise designing technology solutions that optimize, and advance business function.
- 8+ years of IT related experience.
- Experience in modern database systems (i.e. MS SQL Server, Mongo DB, Cosmos DB, etc.).
- Strong Data Modeling, Data Lake, and Data Warehouse experience, and skills.
- Experience designing/implementing star and/or snowflake schema.
- Extensive knowledge of security, privacy, and data governance best practices, and how to properly implement and review.
- Experience with design modeling standards such as Entity Relationship diagrams.
- Experience with data migration projects.
- Experience with data ingestion, standardization, transformation, and consumption.
- Cloud knowledge preferably Azure.
- Knowledge of Performance, CI/CD, automated testing, and quality methodologies.
- Exceptional spoken, written, and graphical communications skills.
- Superior organizational and planning skills.
- Strong leadership skills are required to infuse and align cross-functional teams with a common vision and to motivate them support the proposed solution.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CARFAX Canada is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law.
We’re committed to providing accommodations by request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. For a confidential inquiry or to request an accommodation, please contact your recruiter or email [email protected].
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit our website https://www.carfax.ca/careers. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is hired.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CARFAX’s mission is to help millions of people shop, buy, service and sell used cars with more confidence. As a leader in vehicle history and valuation, CARFAX provides impartial and comprehensive information for consumers and the automotive industry. CARFAX‘s Canadian headquarters in London, Ontario supports Canadian and U.S. markets, drawing on billions of data records from thousands of sources, enabling used vehicle buyers and sellers to make informed decisions. CARFAX is consistently recognized as a top employer and business. CARFAX is a part of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI). Find out more at www.carfax.ca and connect with CARFAX on Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.