Designing and building a complete distributed system to manage product data, vendor sourcing, pricing, as well as numerous business processes and data exchange is a large and complex task. And that is why we are building a new engineering team to tackle it head on. Does this challenge interest you?
Designing and building a complete distributed jewelry system to manage product data, vendor sourcing, pricing, as well as numerous business processes and data exchange is a large and complex task. And that is why we are building a new engineering team to tackle it head on. Does this challenge interest you?
Blue Nile is seeking a Software Engineer to help drive full-stack development and technical innovation to build-out this distributed system. This team primarily focuses on Java/Groovy REST web services, ReactJS-based frontend, data ingestion and processing, and internal tools, but we do a little of everything. Some days we'll be building cutting-edge web services, other days we'll be focusing on front-end web development. Some times we'll bug-fix legacy code (every place has some), other times we'll handle whatever random requests come from the rest of the business. We are domain experts, technical experts, and thought leaders. No matter what we're doing, we push for continual improvement, aim to be a good example for the rest of the company to follow, and drive the business forward through the proactive and intelligent use of technology.
Do you have the skills, experience, and most importantly, ideas that we need? Are you the sort of person that brings new ideas to the table every day, mentors and learns from other engineers, and makes a positive impact to everything around them? Do you love delivering features that make the experience better for both customers and future engineers? Do you enjoy seeing your input directly impact company direction and architecture? Do you firmly believe in the value of automating everything, including testing, building, deployment, and business processes? Excellent communication skills, strong ReactJS experience, and a desire to be part of, and help guide, a tightly integrated Scrum team are all required. You will also need to become a subject matter expert in the diamond business and our product life-cycle (no prior experience necessary).
Blue Nile embraces a culture of adaptability. Our team is nimble, innovative and resourceful and makes an impact on both the business and each individual customer’s personal experience. We value hard-work, flexibility and curiosity and collaborate to creatively solve problems, constantly improve and implement meaningful changes. Our team celebrates achievements and is inspired by success.
- Architect and deliver maintainable, scalable, stable, reliable, high-quality systems on time, on budget, and in a dynamic production environment.
- Provide technical leadership for design and implementation of new features and next generation software systems.
- Interact directly with internal business areas such as marketing and merchandising to define and clarify specifications, analyze business processes, and define solutions.
- Create, document, and refine agile software development process improvements.
- Perform code and test plan reviews. Take responsibility for the quality of released software.
- Mentor other engineers.
- Passion for doing things right, the first time
- Desire to be a key part of a dynamic, aggressive, and successful business
- Four or more years of professional frontend development
- Strong analysis, communication, and technical leadership skills
- Passion for writing high-quality, well-designed, and tested code
- Experience using, and a strong belief in, Scrum or other agile processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Strong Java web service and web development background, including Spring-boot, REST, JSON, JPA/Hibernate, and design patterns
- Understanding of the relative advantages and disadvantages of relational and NoSQL data stores, and ability to work effectively with both
What we offer
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Healthcare Coverage
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Paid Vacation
- Competitive Salaries
- Business Allowance
- Employee Discount
- Employee Referral Bonus