Blue Nile is looking for an Manager, Engineering to join our tech team. This position presents an outstanding opportunity lead, guide and influence the teams designing and building web systems that are fast, secure, scalable, and stable for a successful and growing company. You will lead teams of internal and external software developers, to design, implement, and support the next generation of web applications to delight our customers. The ideal candidate has a knack for understanding the trade-offs implicit in software development, producing maintainable software that makes life better for the end-user every day. The expectation is that you are a working manager, diving into code as needed alongside your team.
Blue Nile seeks candidates who thrive in an entrepreneurial and dynamic environment and demonstrate a record of achievement. The successful candidate will have strong problem-solving skills, enthusiasm for learning new technologies, and a strong sense of ownership and responsibility. This role will develop best practices around software development, tools, technologies and processes used to ensure engineering excellence. Come make your mark at a fast-growing company where you have the opportunity to make a difference!
Blue Nile is the largest online retailer of certified diamonds, engagement rings and fine jewelry. Our standards are amongst the highest of all jewelers. We provide a superior customer experience, extraordinary value and industry leading product quality and style. We obsess about our customers and are passionate about providing each customer with an amazing experience.
- Provide technical leadership for design and implementation of new features and next generation software systems
- Help define the long-term organizational software strategy
- Lead the development of software primarily in Java with Spring (Boot, MVC, and Security), GCP, AWS, Solr, Oracle PL/SQL, Docker, Kubernetes, Mongo, Nginx, and Ansible
- Collaborate with business sponsors & business analysts to create solutions that satisfy business needs
- Plan, implement, deploy, and support software projects
- Perform code and test plan reviews; take responsibility for the quality of released software
- Establish and refine change management process
- Manage and mentor software developers
- Manage technical relationships and integrations with partners and vendors.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Two or more years’ experience leading software development teams
- Experience working at consumer-facing organizations with a focus on e-commerce
- A minimum of seven years of active software development in Java
- Proven track record of delivering high quality features to production
- Strong analysis, design and development skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with Oracle RDBMS
- Experience with cloud development, machine learning, test-driven development, or Solr
- Experience with Spring (MVC, Boot, and Security)
- Experience with a cloud platform (e.g. GCP, AWS)
- Experience in container ecosystems such as Kubernetes
- Experience with DevOps tools, such as git, Ansible, Chef, Bamboo, Jenkins, or similar
What we offer:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Healthcare Coverage
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Paid Vacation
- Competitive Salaries
- Business Allowance
- Employee Discount
- Employee Referral Bonus