Sr. Software Engineer
Blue Nile is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to help drive full-stack development and technical innovation for our Customer Excellence team. This team primarily focuses on building out and maintaining our online shopping experience as well as working on our backend tools that allow customers to purchase items on the phone as well as in our physical store locations across the United States (and hopefully soon, world-wide). We are the team that does it all; selecting beautiful diamonds and adding them to your shopping cart, got it covered. Issuing gift certificates and applying discounts, sure thing. Purchasing items via Credit Card, PayPal, Alipay, Bank wire, etc., gotcha, and if you unexpectedly don’t like what you bought, we handle cancellations, returns, resizes, exchanges and repairs as well. Oh, and don’t forget about calculating and reporting on taxes, validating shipping addresses, estimating shipping and delivery times, tracking shipments, notifying customers about their order status via email and SMS, and so on. Did I mention, we also maintain our customer account database and the UI that allows new customers to sign-up for an account and have their orders linked to it? Sounds like a lot, and it is but at the same time it is really satisfying to us to have that much impact in the technology that influences how customers see and experience Blue Nile. No matter what we're doing, we push for continual improvement, aim to be a good example for the rest of the company to follow, and drive the business forward through the proactive and intelligent use of technology.
Blue Nile is the largest online retailer of certified diamonds, engagement rings and fine jewelry. We embrace a culture of adaptability. Our team is nimble, innovative and resourceful and makes an impact on both the business and each individual customer’s personal experience. We value hard-work, flexibility and curiosity and collaborate to creatively solve problems, constantly improve and implement meaningful changes. Our team celebrates achievements and is inspired by success.
- Architect and deliver maintainable, scalable, stable, reliable, high-quality systems on time, on budget, and in a dynamic production environment.
- Provide technical leadership for design and implementation of new features and next generation software systems.
- Interact directly with internal business areas such as marketing and merchandising to define and clarify specifications, analyze business processes, and define solutions.
- Create, document, and refine agile software development process improvements.
- Perform code and test plan reviews. Take responsibility for the quality of released software.
- Mentor other engineers.
- Research and integrate new technology into our stack.
- Passion for doing things right, the first time
- Desire to be a key part of a dynamic, aggressive, and successful business
- Eight or more years of professional software development
- Strong Java web service and web development background, including Spring, REST, JSON, JPA/Hibernate, jUnit, and design patterns
- Experience in container ecosystems, including Docker, Rancher, Kubernetes, or similar
- Strong analysis, object-oriented design, technical leadership skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experience using, and a strong belief in, Scrum or other agile processes
- Strong SQL skills, preferably with background in Oracle PL/SQL
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Experience with, or interest in learning Groovy, Spock, and TDD
- Experience with DevOps tools, such as Git, Ansible, Chef, Bamboo, Jenkins, or similar
- Experience with cloud technologies
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Any other new and interesting skills and experience you can bring to the table
What we offer
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Healthcare Coverage
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Paid Vacation
- Competitive Salaries
- Business Allowance
- Employee Discount
- Employee Referral Bonus