Software Engineer, DAVO (A188)
This position is with the DAVO by Avalara business unit.
DAVO provides Sales Tax processing for over five thousand small businesses. Small businesses have more pressing things to worry about than Sales Tax. We move the sales tax their customers have paid out of their bank account and then remit this tax to the tax authorities when due. After discovering us in the partner marketplace of their Point of Sale system, small businesses onboard themselves through a seamless flow that facilitates dozens of new signups for our service every day.
We have operated for the last year and half with an extremely small, but talented engineering team. We are now throwing fuel on the fire adding a dedicated Product Manager and two additional Software Engineers to flesh out the team. Come help us expand the offering while we continue to double our client base each year.
If you were to join this team, you would leverage your experience to help design and implement well thought out solutions.
- Design, develop, and deploy reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that power both our internal and external systems
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Work with designers, product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of lots of dynamism and uncertainty
- Take a mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
Our tech stack - comparable experience required:
We have a modern development stack and infrastructure. We can spin up new environments, scale, patch, deploy...all with ease. Goal is to work with technology we enjoy and to never have a part of the stack that people don’t feel comfortable touching.
- Typescript: React, Node.js, Express.js, Jest
- AWS: Aurora/MySQL, Elasticache/Redis, ECS/Fargate, EC2, S3, CloudFront, CDK/IaC; GCP: FireBase/websockets
- 2+ years of experience as a part of a software development team successfully shipping a software product
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, and/or work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to thrive in an environment where collaboration, communication, and compromise are an expected part of your day-to-day work
Nice to haves:
- Fluent in service oriented architectures; distributed systems
- Understanding of AWS offerings we don’t use regularly today, but want to use more (EventBridge, Lambda, etc.)
- Interest in work in a environment that is moving more and more “serverless”
- Interest in achieving AWS certification
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.