Podcast Managing Editor
WRAL Studios is the podcast production company backed by media pioneer Capitol Broadcasting Company. We’re looking for a key editorial leader to scale our podcasting team. We’re developing original series, seasonal true crime, audio documentaries and companion podcasts for films. You’ll work in a culture where you’re seen and heard, where your big ideas can thrive, and your curiosity is championed.
This is a unique opportunity to build out a podcasting brand from a legacy media company. We’re seeking an experienced narrative audio journalist who will have a key leadership role, assemble podcast teams, and manage all facets of development, production and execution of original podcasts.
All candidates must Include demo links to your best work in your resume or cover letter.
What you’ll do:
- Generate and evaluate new ideas for desirability, feasibility, and profitability
- Guide production from idea to pitch to polished show, working closely with each show’s writer/journalist/host, producer and editor team
- Develop and define style of shows while overseeing the narrative structure from episode to seasonal arc
- Serve as story editor from draft to final script
- Lead fact-checking and legal review
- Assemble and manage contract teams with the right expertise for new shows and/or full-time podcast reporting staff
- Coach producers and hosts to challenge themselves creatively and journalistically
- Ensure that all journalistic and legal standards are followed
- Set goals and lead the team to meet them
Qualifications / Experience:
- At least three years of experience in a story editor or senior producer role in audio journalism– the title and time isn’t as important as being able to demonstrate your role and success in guiding the process, the team, the reporting, writing, and producing
- Strong understanding of narrative structure in podcasting and a passion for high-quality storytelling with vivid characters and voice-driven scripts
- Hands on experience writing, reporting and/or producing long form, narrative stories in audio – what you’ve produced is more important than how long you’ve been doing it
- A proven track record of managing and mentoring people
- Highly developed hands-on audio production skills and ability to teach field and studio recording techniques - proficiency with ProTools and Audition a plus
- Excellent writing skills and journalistic integrity
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Lead with positivity and a build-measure-learn-change mindset
Top tier candidates have:
- Knowledge of podcast analytics, titling, best practices for discoverability, SEO, marketing
- Experience monetizing podcasts or creating distribution partnerships with podcast networks
- A network of independent producers, writers, engineers, and other staff
You will report to the general manager of Audience Development / Podcasts / Streaming. This is a full-time position with the potential for longevity bonuses.Benefits:
For full-time employees of CBC, benefits make up a significant portion of your total pay - usually about 20-35% of the amount received in cash:
- Life Insurance
- Long/Short Term Disability
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Childcare Scholarship Program
- Technology Loan Program
Capitol Broadcasting Company hires good humans first, people with relentless curiosity and a personal dedication to continuous learning. We’re a family-owned company where you can bring your whole self to work. We won’t ask you to ‘fit’ into our culture. We’re looking for people who add to it! We value diverse experiences and backgrounds. If you don’t meet every qualification listed, but think you’re right for this position, use your cover letter to make sure we don’t miss out on meeting you.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality, and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; Holly Springs Salamanders in Holly Springs, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC.