Division Controller/Business Manager
Seeking an experienced and team-oriented accounting professional responsible for all operational & financial aspects of CBC’s Raleigh and Satellite business units, from CBC’s Highwoods location. Serves as a key financial and business advisor to each of the general managers of each business unit, and to CBC CEO and CFO in Corporate.
Responsibilities include the following:
- All phases of general accounting, including budgeting and forecasting, management reporting, general ledger, traffic and invoicing systems, customer credit and collections, vendor payments, fixed assets, payroll, and updating and maintaining efficient and effective internal processes and controls;
- Managing and developing a team of approximately five accounting and commercial traffic personnel.
- Working collaboratively with the corporate team on regular projects (income tax, external audit, general insurance, hosted payroll, human resources support, etc.), and special projects (potential new lines of business, business model profitability optimization, systems improvements, major contracts, etc.).
Working characteristics must include strong ethical, interpersonal and organizational skills; good listening skills, flexibility, and judgment; the ability to prioritize responsibilities and manage needs of multiple business units/supervisors, seek common ground and support a large group of diverse people and programs, demonstrate creativity, maintain professional demeanor and meet deadlines. Must be able to think conceptually and translate concepts into practical solutions. Must be an effective communicator (both verbally and in writing) and embrace a continuous improvement culture. Demonstrate leadership by example.
Work experience should include demonstrated ability to assist business units and corporate office personnel in decision support for key aspects of the business, including the ability to proactively identify core business opportunities via effective operational and contractual projections and analysis.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Serve as a key member of business unit management teams, fully supporting the General Manager and employees in those business units on financial/business matters (roughly 85% of job).
- Manage all aspects of the operations of the accounting department including month end closing, account reconciliations, customer invoicing, credit and collections, accounts payable, sales commission calculations, payroll, fixed assets, property tax returns, sales and use tax returns, and trade accounting
- Coordinate and prepare multi-year budgets and forecasts for each business unit and assist the teams with financial analysis and development of projections.
- Help find ways to accommodate customer needs with payment/business transactions, while still complying with sound internal controls and company best practices.
- Develop customer friendly ways of transacting business while maintaining CBC business standards. “How can we make this happen.”
- Provide business and financial support for business units and assist in developing metrics, reporting key performance indicators and financial models to evaluate profitability of new products/concepts before they go to market.
- Prepare and provide monthly and quarterly financial reports which may include key metrics, variance analysis and information relevant to the operation and financial performance of the business unit including charts, graphs, and summary narratives
- Monitor, analyze and advise on profit and loss reporting for key revenue and expense areas (including annual budgets/projections, key projects, contracts/contract renewals, annual commission plans and commission structures)
- Facilitate smooth operation of payroll and time/PTO reporting ensuring employees are paid accurately and timely including sales commission calculations
- Supervise and develop a staff of 5 professionals including 3 accounting staff and 2 radio traffic staff.
- Manage the traffic departments for WRAL FM and Sports Radio ensuring timely log reconciliation, proper order approval, active inventory management and handling of account executive traffic/billing inquiries and requests
- Oversee various Highwoods location office management responsibilities including, but not limited to, coordination with property management, and coordination with corporate HR.
- Work with the General Managers on a regular basis to identify synergies and continuous improvement initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
- Business & Financial Analysis – be available to create or edit financial or other analyses relating to the businesses as needed, including relating to major contract renewals and major revenue or expense trends (i.e. key metrics, budget and forecast variances, etc.), to the extent corporate requests information not already prepared by the business unit teams
- External Tax and Audit Support – deliver timely and accurate support to the Corporate F&A team in connection with annual external GAAP audits, annual tax return preparation, periodic audits by federal/state/local tax authorities, etc.
- General Insurance Ownership and Support – proactively collaborate with Corporate F&A - on both annual renewals and new initiatives/practices - to ensure property, liability, and other general insurance needs are sound from both a business unit and corporate office perspective
- Hosted Payroll Ownership and Support – proactively collaborate with business unit personnel, F&A and HR as appropriate to anticipate any new business unit practices or initiatives/needs
- Systems Support and Upgrades – be available to proactively support and contribute to any Corporate initiatives to strengthen existing financial or HR systems, including participation in evaluation and implementation teams
- Human Resources Team Support – be available to support corporate HR teams in new hires/searches, annual healthcare open enrollment and analysis, etc.
- BS or BA degree in accounting or business
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in similar finance and accounting management role, including supervisory experience and radio or satellite industry experience (preferred)
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills – including a demonstrated ability in past work experience to work effectively for multiple supervisors (preferred)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including sound Excel analytical and modeling capabilities
- Proficiency in corporate information and accounting systems, with experience using Wide Orbit, Oracle Financials, PBCS and Smartview, and ADP (all preferred)
- CPA (preferred)
- Strong integrity, teamwork, project management skills and attention to detail
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality, and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; Holly Springs Salamanders in Holly Springs, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC, and Professional Builders Supply, (an equity partnership) in Morrisville, NC.