Director of Marketing & Communications
The Director of Marketing & Communications plays a key leadership role within the team. Responsible for providing brand management, strategic leadership, along with the development, planning and implementation of the overall marketing/social strategy for the Durham Bulls to achieve the objective of sales growth and visibility while ensuring a consistent brand. Position also leads communications and community engagement activities for the organization to create passionate and raving fans.
- Provides leadership for all PR, community engagement, communications, marketing, creative design, social media, branding, and digital activities.
- Creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing and communications plan that will enhance the Durham Bulls brand, audience engagement and generate individual ticket sales.
- Developing go-to-market strategies for ticketing products, assist in guiding sales process, etc.
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing and communications department and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
- Oversees all social media and online engagement and drives strategy behind the tone, voice and growth of these platforms. Supports staff in its implementation.
- Oversees all website and digital strategies including website content, blog, podcast, contests, and the sites “look and feel.” Supports staff in implementation.
- Manage and improve online content, considering SEO and Google Analytics.
- Establish a clear brand roadmap that will drive the team’s day-to-day and long-term business and brand vision to realize real business results.
- Represents team to the press and public by acting as chief team spokesperson.
- Measures effectiveness of the marketing programs, optimizes and implement improvements.
- Oversees all branded collateral including but not limited to ads, signage, promotional items, uniforms, digital assets, etc.
- Develops contacts and relationships with media representatives to create opportunities for keeping the team and its products or services in front of public.
- Coordinate and manage inbound media requests.
- Utilize databases and analytical processes to drive growth.
- Develops and conducts customer opinion surveys.
- Conceptualize, collaborate, and coordinate the procurement of all team publications.
- Coordinate the appearance of all team print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, etc.
- Ensure that the Durham Bulls regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity. Monitor trends.
- Assist with the fulfillment of corporate sponsorship contracts as it relates to signage, in-game promotions, videoboard, and print materials.
- Track and report weekly press mentions and organize press reports.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications, business, sport marketing.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in marketing and communications with demonstrated success.
- Strong oral and written skills required, including writing press releases and similar media communications, and ability to create proposals and presentations.
- Comfortable, confident, friendly on-camera presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly while managing numerous projects simultaneously.
- Deep understanding of social media and branding.
Our ideal candidate will have:
At least 3-5 years of experience in marketing and communications with demonstrated success, preferably with a sports organization. Social media and analytics experience are preferred. Demonstrable experience in designing and implementing successful marketing campaigns.
Familiarity with web design. Excellent analytical and project management skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and other general purpose tools. Knowledge of SEO, SEM and some form of content management platform. Tools to understand how audience is engaging with our platforms.
In order to be successful in this role:
Must be exceptionally detail-oriented with ability to multi-task in fast paced environment. Must stay up to date on latest technology and best practices. Must be an outside-the-box thinker who can convey the team’s messaging in unique ways. Must be a self-starter and able to take on projects on their own. A strategic thinking and problem-solving mentality.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality, and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; Holly Springs Salamanders in Holly Springs, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC.