Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and custom-designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all of their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006. Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Summary / Objective:
The Applications Engineer shall provide technical expertise to support Canadian Solar’s energy storage solutions. This position shall be responsible for the pre-sales activities of utility-scale battery energy storage systems including: system sizing, data analysis, preliminary design, cost estimating, financial optimization, and value engineering.
This role will require the candidate to work closely with the business development and technical teams to help develop new storage project opportunities by providing technical support, analyzing customer applications, and developing innovative solutions to meet customer needs.
This role is based in the UK.
Pre-sales engineering management
- Be an expert resource for general product specifications, application – customization discussions and inquiries
- Analyze RFP requirement, specifications, drawings or customer requests to determine project scope, schedule, specifications, risk, and all technical delivery requirements.
- Develop technical specifications and clarifications for bids
- Initiate sales strategy with sales and engineering input
- Be a technical liaison for the Sales team, customers and partners
- Work closely with sales staff, engineering and procurement to ensure complete and shared project understanding and priorities
- Conduct technical presentations and provide clarification to customers and other departments
- Perform site visits and ESS field inspection as needed
- In collaboration with the engineering team. establish and maintain the engineering, design criteria and applicable standards and specifications for ESS projects
- Develop concept drawings sets (Electrical One-line Diagrams, Site Layouts, etc.)
- Run in-house energy and financial modeling tools
- Derive system sizing requirements for various battery technologies, operating restrictions, system losses, degradation rates, efficiency and periodic capacity augmentation requirements.
- Analyze solar PV power plant energy production estimates to appropriately size battery energy storage systems for appropriate use.
- Develop project scope, schedule, risk matrix, and project information for subcontractor RFPs and proposal management
- Coordinate in-house estimating activities including relevant drawings and specifications
- Coordinate major subcontractors RFP including scopes of work for electrical installations and design
- In collaboration with the cost estimator, develop detailed estimate spreadsheets for project bids.
- In collaboration with procurement team, investigate alternate sources for equipment and subcontractors
Standardization and process
- Develop and manage proposal standards
Market and Standards
- Develop an understanding of the various incentives and market drivers for each country/region and system operator and communicate this information to appropriate managers
- Ensure the highest level of environmental health and safety in all engineering
- A go-getter professional with a can-do attitude - setting aggressive, measurable goals and objectives for him/herself and prepared to be measured against them.
- An efficient team member with high regard for ethics, integrity, and finesse.
- A dynamic professional with the ability to positively interact and collaborate with a diverse group of people at all levels and disciplines and capable of standing in front of key clients, thinking on his/her feet and making sound decisions within compressed timelines.
- Comfortable in a collaborative and fluid environment.
- An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives and objectives concurrently.
- Several years of experience in application and/or systems engineering with an Energy Storage integrator or EPC contractor.
- Direct experience in battery storage systems, power electronics, medium voltage stations, and/or related products/systems.
- Background in battery packs/ modules and associated systems such as thermal management and fire protection systems, enclosures and battery control systems would be a plus.
- Exceptional technical aptitude including the ability to read and fully understand engineering schematics, technical advisory reports and technology reviews.
- Proficient in AutoCAD or related software.
- Practical hands-on experience in system engineering and solid understanding of related regulatory standards including IEC, UL and IEEE for energy storage systems and power conversion.
- Prior experience working with EPCs is highly desirable.
- Global perspective and awareness, and direct experience working across diverse cultures in a multinational company would be beneficial.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (preferably Electrical or Mechanical) or any technical or related business discipline is required; a graduate degree is strongly preferred.