Have you been looking for the right job opportunity? Now is the time to consider being part of our evolving and growing team that is embarked on a journey to bring hope to your career endeavors. Leave the status quo behind and play an instrumental role in delivering renewable power to the world. What are you waiting for? Come join us!
- Work in an inclusive, global environment
- Contribute to the saving the earth from global warming
- Continue to learn, grow and be challenged in a fast-growing industry
- Have fun and connect with great people and managers
Job Title: Cost Estimator
Overview and Summary
- Coordinate with internal Engineering, Procurement, and Business Development regarding Battery Energy Storage System designs for the initiation of a detailed project estimate for installation and schedule that depicts the installation duration.
- Thoroughly investigates the specifications, scope of work, drawings, other RFP documents and develops a complete understanding of the RFP requirements.
- Ensures estimates are completed on time for team review prior to project gates (Sizing, Pricing, or Proposal).
- Estimate energy storage projects utilizing a conceptual, or defined scope of work from an internal layout and/or design inputs.
- Provides constructability review during the estimating process. And creates a list of project discrepancies during the estimating review.
- Establish and maintain effective communication channels with Project Management, Engineering, and Procurement department personnel in order to more accurately estimate costs by project type and location.
- Effectively facilitates cost collaboration amongst team members.
- Review cost estimates and proposals prepared by Application Engineer or other team members to ensure accuracy, including mentorship of estimating staff.
- Ability to identify key cost and technical risk areas, and translate the risk areas into schedule or cost impacts.
Energy Storage System Cost Estimating
- Set up and manage estimating working files for projects and maintain files electronically within the company’s web-based document management system.
- Prepare accurate and detailed quantity take-offs and estimates. Knowledge of cost estimating software systems is required.
- Prepare detailed manpower & equipment calculations for each typical project type.
- Develop and continuously improve the Utility Scale Storage estimating processes. Build and maintain relationships to understand client, designer and subcontractor needs and expectations.
- Apply principles, theories, and methods of cost estimation.
- Develops productivity analysis of construction operations and verifies results by manpower and crew analysis of work operations by craft to validate estimating standards.
- Prepare value engineering and risk analysis.
- Develops and maintains an accurate EPC pricing matrix for preliminary budget stage.
Subcontractor and vendor pricing
- Coordinate with Procurement and Project Management department on the preparation of bid packages, on analysis of EPC bids, and recommend award to senior management.
- Develop Scope of Work for RFP.
- Review and analyze all subcontractors and vendor proposals and incorporate into cost models.
- Prepare sub-EPC contract exhibits based on terms in the Head EPC Agreement.
- Assist in negotiating technical and commercial terms with the selected EPC subcontractor.
Project execution support
- On active projects, assist with developing and/or validating project cost estimates, project schedules, or change orders.
- Assist in developing approaches to site construction and in developing a project schedule upon which the estimate is built.
- Provide input to internal teams on all financial matters affected by these estimates.
- Analyze actual project costs versus project cost estimates.
- Liaise with team leads to develop pricing forecasts and schedules for future project pipelines for up to 20 years.
- Prepare cost comparisons/reconcile with previous estimates.
- Find and maintain subcontractor relationships in existing and new markets.
- Develops and maintains a centralized database of historical projects costs, value engineering, cost efficiencies and lessons learned. And categorizes this database based on the project type, size, technology, and geographical location.
- Develop life-cycle cost estimates using a variety of methods (e.g. parametric, analogy, etc).
- Prepares cost studies utilizing historical data, statistical analysis and cost and quantity comparisons; innovates new techniques as required to support future bids.
- Continuously generates and evaluates value engineering solutions and develops pricing strategies.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience estimating Utility Scale Renewable Energy projects.
- Energy Storage and Solar with an EPC / project developer or system integrator is experience highly preferred.
- Knowledge of NEC, Renewable construction requirements and other industry standards.
- Experience in Microsoft Project, HCSS or similar, Tableau+, Bluebeam or other takeoff software would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of estimating, engineering, cost tracking systems and site surveying.
- Bachelor’s and/or post-secondary education degree related to Engineering, Construction Management, and/or Estimating.
- Must be able to estimate all electrical components associated with both Energy Storage, Solar Energy, and AC Distribution Systems.
- Thorough knowledge of the cost estimating and contractor bid process.
- Thorough understanding of Civil, Structural, and Electrical estimating.
- Proven ability to interpret conceptual and completed drawings.
- Proficient is parametric and analogy-based estimating.
- Proven experience in cost model development.
- Method development (e.g. multivariate regression analysis, Monte Carlo simulation, cost improvement curve analysis).
- Experience using statistical analysis software (e.g. SAS, SPSS, etc).
- ICEAA certification; either Certified Cost Estimator/Analyst (CCEA) will be an asset.
- Highly driven and hard working with high standards for themselves and others.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and juggle competing and changing deadlines effectively while remaining calm under pressure.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment and to follow directions.
- Excellent customer relation skills, including professional appearance and demeanor.
- Travel required: 0-25%
- Willing to reside in California or New Jersey
**Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.