Senior Operations Manager - Transportation
Senior Operations Manager
At Canada Cartage we work with zeal, intelligent and focused leaders who are driven to create an outstanding customer experience in partnership with Canadian leading brands. Canada Cartage is deep rooted in family values with an entrepreneurial culture where ideas are welcomed, growth is fostered and high performance is championed. A recognized thought leader and founded in 1914, Canada Cartage dominates the industry by delivering innovative fleet solutions. We are currently looking to add a Senior Operations Manager who is equally passionate about serving the community and achieving operational success alongside our dedicated and loyal employees. This role will be based in the Mississauga office and interested candidates are encouraged to apply below.
The Senior Operations Manager is responsible for working with and leading the day-to-day activities of the Operations Team to provide professional fleet management and dedicated transportation services to our customers. This position is accountable for the performance of our Centralized Dispatch team, which includes the management of surge freight volumes, cost containment, service levels and continuous improvement. Coaching, team development and creating strong team synergies are also key components in this role.
- Foster and maintain a working environment based on our six guiding principles – Integrity, Humanity, Accountability, Collaboration, Dedication, and Leadership.
- Profit & Loss responsibility including budget development and implementation.
- Balance the need for high service levels with responsible and efficient cost management.
- Support and enforce the Company’s Health and Safety Compliance policies, along with provincial and federal laws and regulations specific to the transportation industry, including Carrier Profile standards, HOS regulations, etc.
- Develop and maintain a results focused, winning team and providing regular and consistent open communication to all employees.
- Promote and manage strong driver relations at every level of the organization.
- Ensure operations teams and drivers have the necessary tools to perform their job functions.
- Develop and implement both internal and external customer facing goal, target, and performance measures and standards.
- Monitor and manage customer service levels to ensure expectations are met or exceeded
- Participate in regular communications and strategy sessions as they involve new customer acquisition, customer retention, continuous improvement, and cost containment strategies.
- Conduct regular formal employee reviews and informal feedback discussions for all staff within their area of responsibility.
- Monitor fleet performance, maintenance, and utilization to effectively deliver required service standards
- Participate in regional and national strategy meetings as required, along with pro-actively collaborating and working with Directors at other terminals in Western Canada
- Ensure consistent adherence to company progressive discipline standards and expectations throughout the organization.
- Ensure front-line operations teams effectively use the technology provided with compliance to company requirements and standards, including A1T TMS, RadiusHub, telematics, and KPI generation templates.
- Maintain open, pro-active communication with local, regional, and head office teams.
- Other duties as required.
- Proven leadership, motivation and development skills in a fast paced work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High EQ and interpersonal skills
- Ability to balance an involved hands-on approach while ensuring accountability at all levels of the organization
- Proven ability to deliver on financial expectations and results
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks
- Experience with P&L responsibility/accountability, including budget planning.
- Experience with working in a unionized environment and managing a large unionized driver/employee base.
- Experience in labor relations / negotiations an asset
- Proven record and experience in effective customer relations.
- MS Office suite proficiency, in particular Excel
- 7+ years’ related experience in Transportation, Warehousing, and/or Distribution
- Post-secondary education an asset
- Some travel may be required
- Work hours as required
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people, members of visible minority groups, and women.