Position: Operations Supervisor
Status: Full Time
Location: Oshawa, ON
Schedule: Monday to Friday, 07.00 am to 04.00 pm
At Canada Cartage we work with intelligent and focused leaders who are driven to create an outstanding customer experience in partnership with Canadian leading brands. Canada Cartage is deep rooted in family values with an entrepreneurial culture where ideas are welcomed, growth is fostered and high performance is championed. A recognized thought leader and founded in 1914, Canada Cartage dominates the industry by delivering innovative fleet solutions. We are currently looking to add a Operations Supervisor who is equally passionate about serving the community and achieving operational success alongside our dedicated and loyal employees. This role will be based in the OshawaTerminal and interested candidates are encouraged to apply below.
As a hands on Supervisor for Dispatch you will be responsible for overseeing the day to day efficient running of the operations. Ensuring dispatch staff is fully trained in the functions and efficiencies of their roles thereby achieving service and growth of the business and reporting to the Ops Manager.
- Train and develop staff so that they are able to execute functions and make decisions that support business objectives
- Schedule and cross train staff (including yourself) to ensure full service / coverage for customer and fleet needs
- Develop KPI’s and work instructions that speak to increased load count, operational efficiency and continuous improvement
- Manage local hourly and city expenses to ensure productive and warranted return on investment
- Manage relations with Staff, Owner Operators and Drivers in an equitable and efficient environment that is respectful to all and fosters retention
- Manage dispatchers, driver fleet and resources to ensure maximum utilization without compromising safety, maintenance or compliance obligations
- Work with management team to ensure support and collaboration towards corporate goals.
- Answer questions re performance, progress and equipment from customer personnel
Safety and Compliance
- Leads and promotes a culture where Health & Safety is the #1 priority. Provides leadership and support for Health & Safety initiatives at the facility.
- Operates within and ensures full compliance with the Code of Business Conduct, company policies and procedures, and all statutes and legislation governing the workplace.
- Works with Drivers to ensure Driver hours are not exceeded, and that maintenance is completed within required time frames. Maintains paperwork and records to ensure compliance.
- Manages Drivers to ensure they are operating in the most safe and effective manner, and are compliant with transportation legislation and company policies and procedures. Implements progressive discipline process to manage driver performance.
- May participate in Joint Health & Safety meetings.
- 3 to 5 years of previous leadership experience in the transportation industry as a Dispatch Supervisor
- Must have a consistently positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills, both in person and on the phone.
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple priorities while leading a team
- Team player, possessing leadership abilities, with strong analytical and written communication skills
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills and critical decision-making capabilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with City and Call Cartage Planning and dispatching
- Understanding of freight brokerage, capacity and demand planning is an asset
- Experience with managing third party carriers
- Proficient within a Windows operating system; Outlook, Word, Excel, Dispatch Software, Routing Apps, Planning Tools, Electronic Logs
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people, members of visible minority groups, and women.