IT Application Analyst (Calgary Warehouse) – Canada Cartage System
Reports to: Manager, Warehouse Systems Department: Information Technology
Location: Calgary, Alberta (Warehouse Based)
The individual in this position will reside at the Calgary Warehouse and play a key role in supporting Canada Cartage’s applications and onsite technology. The portfolio encompasses the Warehouse Management System, customer web portal, shipping platforms, picking technology, printing solutions and ancillary systems. The applications are a mix of 3rd party systems with some customizations and internally built applications.
The individual will administer the portfolio of warehouse applications and support day-to-day issues in a timely manner. The individual will be the primary point of contact for onsite technology issues requiring desk-side/physical presence. This is a key role in ensuring the ongoing smooth operation of the business and becomes the natural go-to person for both resources within the technical team and the business community. They will act as a Subject Matter Expert for internal initiatives relating to these applications and participate in projects involving the warehouse.
- Log, prioritize, troubleshoot, route and monitor all support incidents or questions relating to the applications supported. The applications are a mix of COTS vendor applications and internal applications.
- Assist other internal teams such as the Service Desk, Infrastructure Team or EDI Team with troubleshooting and technical support of related issues.
- Perform root cause analysis to determine the cause of recurring issues and either fix or provide recommendations toward solutions.
- Manage the upkeep of the application. Ensure that the application is updated routinely and functioning at an acceptable performance level. This would involve working with the Infrastructure team and vendors to provision sufficient resources.
- Continually drive improvements within the support processes by identifying opportunities for automation or simplifying processes. You may have the opportunity to drive those as small projects.
- Support the warehouse RF & handheld equipment: administration, upkeep, refresh and training.
- Coordinate support of local printing, desktop and network systems. This will involve working in tandem with vendors or the IT Infrastructure & Security team.
- Provide desk-side assistance and triage issues before they are raised with central/corporate IT.
- Support the IT Infrastructure & Security team on issues or initiatives where they require physical presence at the warehouse.
Subject Matter Expertise & Analysis
- Be a subject matter expert for the warehouse applications. Progressively understand the current functionality, keep up with future enhancements on the product roadmap, and assess capabilities in competing applications within the same domain.
- Support process mapping and SOP building for business processes undertaken using the application set.
- Review incoming IT Work Requests to understand the need, translate the business needs into technical requirements, and provide feedback into the project’s Solution/Design phases.
- Participate in testing activities within the supported applications by preparing test plans and test cases, managing or executing the tests, capturing results and ensuring defects are raised to the Project Manager or Vendor.
- Prepare training documentation/SOPs and train both users and other trainers on system use.
- Mentor L1 staff or Super Users within the Business departments on activities they support in the systems.
Relationships & Communication
- Use effective communication and listening skills with internal customers, external customers, vendors, and team members within the IT department while troubleshooting system issues.
- Be flexible and astute in tailoring communication to different audiences. Example: Technical/vendor vs every day users
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key day-to-day users of the system such that you can reinforce proper use of the system and become a change agent during project rollouts.
- Form relationships with the leadership of CCLS as appropriate to promote further understanding and appreciation of the systems in place.
- Manage the relationship with the Application vendors. This will involve routine touchpoints to ensure open issues are being addressed promptly and escalated for further attention as required.
Experience & Skills:
- Experience working within the Supply Chain along with a good understanding of the business lifecycle managed within the Applications supporting it.
- Proficient within HighJump E3PL System (Accellos 3PL) or other Warehouse Management Systems including RF functionality
- Strong analytical & problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, listening and presentation).
- Keen self-starter who is interested to learn new technologies and enjoys change
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and with a cross-functional team to achieve organizations goals.
- Able to handle multiple initiatives in parallel but recognizes the importance of prioritization
- Understanding of the role of Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) within Warehousing
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in an analytical specialization (Engineering, Sciences or Business with IT concentration preferred).
- Technically competent with Microsoft Office suite of products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- 4 or more years working in the capacity of an Application, Systems, Technical or Business Analyst
Nice to haves:
- Competence using SQL to query tables within 3PL database
- IT industry certifications
- Experience working with Business Intelligence tools such as PowerBI
- Project Management skills
- Logistics industry certifications
Working Hours and Location:
- Weekend and afterhours support is required based on production issues and project timelines
- Flexibility to travel between multiple facilities in the Mississauga/Brampton area
- Some out of province travel may be required if involved in a project.