On-Road Safety & Compliance Supervisor
At Canada Cartage we work with intelligent and focused leaders who are driven to create an outstanding customer experience in partnership with Canadian leading brands. Canada Cartage is deep rooted in family values with an entrepreneurial culture where ideas are welcomed, growth is fostered and high performance is championed. A recognized thought leader and founded in 1914, Canada Cartage dominates the industry by delivering innovative fleet solutions. We are looking to add a Billingual On-Road Safety and Compliance Supervisor who is equally passionate about serving the community and achieving operational success alongside our dedicated and loyal employees. This role will be based in the Mississauga Terminal and interested candidates are encouraged to apply below.
Status: Full Time
Location: Mississauga, On
Shift Availability: Days – must be flexible with hours
While supporting Canada Cartage’s vision and mission and demonstrating the company’s core values of commitment, open communication, respect and excellent service, the individual in this position is responsible to ensure our drivers operate safely while supporting our corporate safety goals.
This position will be based out of our Cardiff office in Mississauga and must be able to speak fluent Hindi or Punjabi to assist with language barrier comprehension of safety knowledge and training. A thorough understanding of HOS, pre-trip inspection, weights and dimensions are necessary in this role to be able to support and coach our drivers while setting them up to succeed. The ideal candidate naturally has a love for helping, teaching and serving people connecting easily with others.
- Performing safety training to ensure compliance with provincial legislations requirements and Company SOP
- Provide classroom and in-cab instruction and coaching to newer and experienced drivers when required.
- Perform demonstrations and evaluations on drivers specific to vehicle inspections and defensive driving
- Conduct safety observations on drivers and trucks to ensure they are safe and follow our company policies as well as Provincial and Federal regulations.
- Conduct in cab evaluations
- Track and report on safety activities and liaise with Operations team on initiatives and plans to improve safety within their division
- Assist and/or lead first response calls.
- Support assigned terminals Joint Health and Safety Committees.
- Review Safety and Work practices and conduct Incident Investigations
- Perform Compliance Audits as required for the branch location
- Provide information and training in emergency response procedures, hazardous material handling and safety and compliance policies
- Acting as a certified management member on the Health amp; Safety Committee(s)
- Provide ongoing risk management by - identifying risks and hazards and identify root causes and implement preventative measures to lower risks, hazards and injuries on the road or facility related
- Conduct road tests for all new hires or re-testing for existing employees returning from leaves
- Conduct and accurately document routine audits and inspections
- Provide assistance on environmental, safety and health matters
- Investigate road accidents
- Providing classroom and on-the-road training in all type of Canada Cartage vehicles to new driver candidates and current drivers;
- Performing pre/post trip inspection and written driver evaluations;
- Conducting one-on-one coaching with drivers during scheduled runs;
- Maintaining driver records, notifying drivers of upcoming licenses and/or certification expiration dates
- Accurately documenting and addressing training progress and problems;
- Maintaining driver records for violations, investigating and assessing violation and taking appropriate corrective action
- Ensuring that Canada Cartage's Route Stops are in compliance with company and customer requirements;
- Monitoring and responding to customer & driver complaints;
- Travel required and on road mobility required
- Generating reports as required.
- 3-5 years hands on Driver safety and compliance experience in the Transportation industry
- Fluently bilingual in Punjabi or Hindi and English
- Ability to drive organizational and provincial legislation changes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Formal problem-solving techniques, reporting, investigations experience
- Hands on with a sense of urgency, ability to manage under pressure and manage multiple priorities and projects
- Valid AZ license
- Safety experience in Transportation and Health and Safety
- Fleet Driver trainer experience and/or PDIC certification
- Demonstrated knowledge of all types of vehicles
- Proven classroom/vehicle training experience preferred
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Integrity and ability to handle and maintain confidential information
- Diplomacy and excellent customer service skills
- Ability to remain calm under demanding conditions
- Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Why work for Canada Cartage:
- Industry leading benefits package including company-matching pension plan
- Stability; Full Time, Steady Hours and consistent year round work
- Safety-oriented company with a safety program in place
- Opportunities for career advancements through training and development
- Company perks such as company phone, uniform/safety boots allowance and discount programs for gym memberships, auto services, cell phone plans, etc.
- Awarded as a Top Fleet Employer consistently for the last 5 years
- Work with a company named "Canada's Best Employer 2018 , 2019 & 2020" in Transportation & Logistics by Forbes
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people, members of visible minority groups, and women.