Truck Mechanic - Journeyperson
HEAVY DUTY TRUCK MECHANIC
At Canada Cartage we work with intelligent and focused leaders who are driven to create an outstanding customer experience in partnership with Canadian leading brands. Canada Cartage is deep rooted in family values with an entrepreneurial culture where ideas are welcomed, growth is fostered and high performance is championed. A recognized thought leader and founded in 1914, Canada Cartage dominates the industry by delivering innovative fleet solutions.
We are currently looking to add a full-time, Truck Mechanic, with a preference for a licensed Journeyperson, or at minimum a Apprentice, to our team. Someone who is equally passionate about serving the community and achieving operational success alongside our dedicated and loyal employees.
Located at 490 Lucas Avenue, Winnipeg Manitoba and reporting to the Service Manager, the Heavy Duty Mechanic with Canada Cartage Systems, will be performing preventative maintenance on our fleet. This will include carrying out diagnostic testing and repairs to primarily OTR truck & trailer equipment, using modern maintenance practices. This position is maintenance shop based, however our mechanics may be called on to carry out service calls and perform test drives to adequately service our fleet.
Dayshift: Four day work week, 10 hour days, from Wednesday to Saturday 7:00am – 5:30pm.
Licensed Journeyman: $34.62 ($1.00 shift premium for Saturday shift)
- Performs assigned repairs and preventive maintenance services
- Performs inspections, diagnostics and repair of electrical, hydraulic, suspension, brake, and air systems on vehicles and equipment
- Utilizes vehicle on board diagnostics and diagnostic laptop/software to troubleshoot faults & failures in order to repair as required
- Performs all work within the Standard Repair Times (SRTs)
- Conducts safety checks on all vehicles and equipment
- Completes the required paperwork, enters repair into Transman FMS program. Including detail of vehicle repair, parts used, and repair time
- Reviews, completes, repairs identified on Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports. As assigned
- Performs maintenance related repairs as required
- Maintains a clean, safe work area in compliance with Corporate / OSHA Standards
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures
- Is responsible for the quality of their work and the safety of the equipment that is worked on
Core Competencies and Qualification:
- Licensed Heavy Duty Mechanic
- Proficient in performing various diagnostics, tests, and repairs with a diagnostic computer system
- Physical requirements of this position will include the ability to push, pull, drag, and lift items up to 50 pounds, and occasionally must work at shoulder level with equipment weighing up to 25 pounds
- Must be able to supply your own set of hand tools to perform basic repairs
- Must have steel toe work boots. We provide an annual allowance for new boots and we provide all PPE and coveralls and a heavy parka, as you will primarily be working outside.
- Must hold Safety of self & equipment as highest priority
- CVI inspector license is beneficial
- Must successfully pass a background check
- Have your own hand tools
Why work for Canada Cartage?
We are a family-oriented company with competitive benefits, including extended health and dental, RRSP and Company-Matching pension plans; discounted hotels, car rentals, entertainment, gym memberships, phone plans, electronics, to name a few of the perks; a cohesive team and a positive, hard-working atmosphere. We have fun events throughout the year, like truck rodeos, summer barbeques and driver-appreciation week that regularly bring us together. It’s important to give back to the communities in which we operate, so we volunteer with and donate to local charities
We also have Company wide recognition initiatives designed to recognize drivers and staff when they demonstrate outstanding customer service, teamwork and our core values.
Why do we have one of the lowest driver turn-over rates in Canada? A team environment, short-haul regular routes and great benefits.
Recognized leader in the industry:
Canada Cartage has been recognized on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022. This is the sixth straight year that Canada Cartage has been included on this list. https://www.forbes.com/companies/canada-cartage/?list=canada-best-employers&sh=7841454553d8
The Canada’s Best Employers 2022 title, along with our 6th year of being recognized by Trucking HR as one of Canada’s “Top Fleet Employers” serves to reinforce Canada Cartage’s reputation as an employer of high quality.
Integrity: We conduct our business with honour, honest and ethics with our people, the environment and legal matters. We believe I being transparent and trustworthy, respecting the traditional “handshake” value system and earning our way in.
Humanity: We are a family minded organization, caring for people and treating them with dignity, decency and respect, be it employees, customers, suppliers or our partners. Open door policy and dealings is our way.
Accountability: Accountability and accessibility to our staff, customers and our customers’ customers is of utmost importance to us. We enable a high level of two way communication, providing access to people who wil deal with issues ad have the willingness to resolve things. We will be relied on and held accountable for our results and our long term commitments.
Collaboration: We understand that results are the product of a team effort. As part of our process, we ensure collaboration with all our staff at all levels in all roles across departmental lines. With our customers, we use a collaborative style approach, sharing ownership to ensure a successful operation.
Dedication: Our organization is employee and customer-driven. We encourage an environment of conscientious effort and earnestness, hiring problem solvers who are responsive and have a "can-do" attitude to get the job done.
Leadership: Personal leadership to us means being competent, taking ownership, demonstrating initiative, and having a voice. Corporate leadership to us means being leaders in the market, continuous improvement and innovation, and empowering those around you. https://jobs.jobvite.com/canadacartage
Come work with an industry leader!
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people, members of visible minority groups, and women.