Director of Operations
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Why you’ll love Canada Cartage
An iconic Canadian company with over 100 years of helping companies grow and succeed in Canada, we provide national dedicated fleet solutions, general freight services, managed transportation, fulfillment & distribution, and home delivery. With a national network of terminals, cross-docks, and distribution centers, we are one of Canada’s largest and most trusted supply chain service providers. Driven to exceed customer expectations, and supported by technology and innovation, we bring simplicity to complex logistics challenges.
We work with intelligent and focused leaders who are driven to create an outstanding customer experience in partnership with Canadian leading brands. Canada Cartage is deep rooted in family values with an entrepreneurial culture where ideas are welcomed, growth is fostered and high performance is championed. A recognized thought leader and founded in 1914, Canada Cartage dominates the industry by delivering innovative fleet solutions.
Located at our Head Office in Mississauga and reporting to the Senior VP Operations, the Director of Operations is responsible for working with and leading the day-to-day activities of the Team (Operations Managers, Planning, and Dispatch, Drivers) to effectively implement transportation services to customers and to ensure that all activities are accurately recorded in the company’s transportation management system. Regular interaction with customers to strengthen business relationships and foster a high level of communication.
Location: 1115 Cardiff Blvd., Mississauga
What you will do
- Balance the needs for high service levels and at the correct cost levels
- Profit & Loss responsibility for the operations
- Manage driver relations in the region
- Monitor fleet suitability to perform the commissioned work
- Conscious of the needs for a safe workplace and compliance with laws in order to ensure that the Carrier Profile in the region is kept at an acceptable level
- Responsible to ensure the front-line operations teams use the technology provided and use it in the company-sanctioned manner. This includes the A1T Transportation Management System (TMS) and the Canada Cartage On-Board Mobile tracking and KPI-generation system
- Develop a winning team and provide communications to all employees through staff and driver meetings
- Participate in regular communications and strategy sessions as they involve new customer acquisition, customer retention, continuous improvement and cost containment strategies
- Participate in meetings when requested by the VP and prepares for the operations meetings to ensure the territory meets and exceeds the established criteria
- Ensuring operations team have the necessary tools to perform their job functions
- Conducting regular formal employee reviews and informal feedback discussions for all staff within their area of responsibility
- Monitoring service levels to ensure customer expectations are met or exceeded
- Administering disciplinary action as required
- Supporting and enforcing the Company’s Health and Safety and Compliance policies
- Working closely with the Operations Managers in all aspect of the day-to-day Operations of the account(s) they are responsible for
- Training, coaching, development and leadership of staff
- Developing and implementing goal, target and performance standards
- Keeping open communication with local staff, regional and head office
What You’ll Bring
- Excellent leadership and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Dedicated Accounts
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks
- MS Office proficiency necessary
- Experience with budget planning, P&L responsibility
- Professional conduct and excellent customer service
- Ensuring that the branch environment is up to the standards and policies of the Company
- Excellent communication skills
- 10 years of experience in a leadership role within Transportation
- Post-secondary education is an asset
- Experience with managing a large driver/employee base
- Self- Motivated and driven
- Great attention to detail
- Success in a Computer and technology focused environment
- Excellent track record for customer service
Why people love working for Canada Cartage
- We offer hybrid and flexible working opportunities.
- Extended health and dental, retirement plans
- Paid personal days and sick days
- Cohesive team and a positive, hard-working atmosphere.
- Meaningful opportunities for career growth.
- Company wide recognition initiatives designed to recognize employees when they demonstrate outstanding customer service, teamwork and our core values.
- Perks - discounted hotels, car rentals, entertainment, gym memberships, phone plans, electronics, to name a few
- Fun events throughout the year, like summer barbeques and driver-appreciation week that regularly bring us together.
- We give back to the communities in which we operate by volunteering and donating to local charities.
- We are a strong company that weathers the storm through pandemics and recessionary periods, so that we can benefit from good economic environments.
We are a top employer!
Canada Cartage has been recognized on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022. This is the sixth straight year that Canada Cartage has been included on this list. https://www.forbes.com/companies/canada-cartage/?list=canada-best-employers&sh=7841454553d8
The Canada’s Best Employers 2022 title, along with our 6th year of being recognized by Trucking HR as one of Canada’s “Top Fleet Employers” serves to reinforce Canada Cartage’s reputation as an employer of high quality.
We’re growing! We have also been ranked in the top 10 of Today’s Trucking top 100 ranking of Canada’s largest for-hire truck fleets for 2022. https://hubs.la/Q017bTLd0
Celebrating 100 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3S-CtHQhVY
Why do we have one of the lowest driver turn-over rates in Canada? A team environment, short-haul regular routes and great benefits. Come work with us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMA1riOzPI
Integrity: We conduct our business with honour, honest and ethics with our people, the environment and legal matters. We believe I being transparent and trustworthy, respecting the traditional “handshake” value system and earning our way in.
Humanity: We are a family minded organization, caring for people and treating them with dignity, decency and respect, be it employees, customers, suppliers or our partners. Open door policy and dealings is our way.
Accountability: Accountability and accessibility to our staff, customers and our customers’ customers is of utmost importance to us. We enable a high level of two way communication, providing access to people who wil deal with issues ad have the willingness to resolve things. We will be relied on and held accountable for our results and our long term commitments.
Collaboration: We understand that results are the product of a team effort. As part of our process, we ensure collaboration with all our staff at all levels in all roles across departmental lines. With our customers, we use a collaborative style approach, sharing ownership to ensure a successful operation.
Dedication: Our organization is employee and customer-driven. We encourage an environment of conscientious effort and earnestness, hiring problem solvers who are responsive and have a "can-do" attitude to get the job done.
Leadership: Personal leadership to us means being competent, taking ownership, demonstrating initiative, and having a voice. Corporate leadership to us means being leaders in the market, continuous improvement and innovation, and empowering those around you. https://jobs.jobvite.com/canadacartage
Come work with an industry leader!
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Before you start with us, we will conduct a criminal record check, verify your education, and check your references.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people, members of visible minority groups, and women.