Claims Specialist - WCB/WSIB
Reporting to the Vice-President, Human Resources, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of Canada Cartage System’s Claims/Disability WSIB and WCB programs. This includes but is not limited to daily administrative tasks, assisting in the development of safe work procedures, investigations, and training.
The incumbent promotes a proactive approach to health and safety throughout the organization.
- Promote a safe and healthy work environment and reduction of lost time due to occupational injury or illness
- Manage WSIB/WCB claims
- Research, prepare and submit claims objection documentation
- Identify and manage modified work opportunities within employee’s functional abilities
- Manage early and safe return to work plans in conjunction with the management team
- Manage claims appeals process
- Provide advice and consultation to managers and employees to ensure compliance with OHSA legislation and guidelines and make recommendations for implementation
- Monitor ongoing claims and maintain plan oversight
- Conduct regular follow up with employees regarding outstanding issues
- Deliver training and development sessions focused on claims and disability management
- In partnership with the management develop and maintain claims and disability management processes and educational material
- Track occupational disability management in conjunction with the company’s management team
- Support the management with the development of related safety training program such as materials including newsletters, collateral materials and audits
- On a monthly, quarterly and annual basis provide reports on claims and disability management, identify trends, recommend initiatives to reduce incidents and improve prevention initiatives.
- Assist with preparation for any Regional sessions
- Attend and facilitate monthly meetings as required
- Special projects and other duties as assigned
- Conduct new hire safety orientations and other required training programs as needed
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and continuous improvement in key identified measures and objectives.
- Manages relationships with key clients, including both internal and external stakeholders on claims related matters
- Maintain sound knowledge of the Employment Standards Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, and all relevant legislation as it relates to Disability Management and Accommodations.
- College Diploma or equivalent or 5 years of experience in the field or related area.
- National experience in claims and disability management
- National experience with return to work programs (occupational and non-occupational)
- Knowledge of multi-jurisdictional (BC, AB, ON, QC) Health & Safety Legislation, Workers Compensation Legislation and Disability Management processes (Occupational and non-occupational)
- Federal, Municipal and provincial WSIB/WCB and H&S legislation's/regulations, industry standard, Workplace Safety & Insurance Act best practices
- Knowledge of Workers Compensation guidelines and return to work programs
- Experience with workplace inspection and job hazard analysis
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio and Power Point
- First Aid including CPR and AED certification
- Strong report writing skills and verbal communication skills
- Dynamic self-starter with the ability to juggle multiple schedules and competing deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion and sound judgement
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Maintain positive relations with employees
- Mature, professional and optimistic attitude
- Proven ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and records
- Strong diplomacy, flexibility, listening and persuasion skills
- Experience in program or policy development is an asset
- Experience implementing Alcohol and Drug programs, including testing, an asset
- Some travel may be required on a periodic basis
- Visibility requires maintaining a professional appearance and providing a positive company image to the public
- Ability to create and maintain a work environment in which people remain motivated and contributing to the company’s vision and philosophy