At Canada Cartage we work with intelligent and focused leaders who are driven to create an outstanding customer experience in partnership with Canadian leading brands. Canada Cartage is deep rooted in family values with an entrepreneurial culture where ideas are welcomed, growth is fostered and high performance is championed. A recognized thought leader and founded in 1914, Canada Cartage dominates the industry by delivering innovative fleet solutions.
We are currently looking to add a full-time Operations Manager to our team. Someone who is equally passionate about serving the community and achieving operational success alongside our dedicated and loyal employees.
Located at 4700 – 102 Avenue SE, Calgary, the Operations Manager is responsible for overseeing/managing the day-to-day activities of the Operations Team while achieving the short and long-term performance and financial objectives of the Company. This will be performed in accordance with our Company Values of Integrity, Humanity, Accountability, Collaboration, Dedication, and Leadership.
The Specific Role Mandate includes:
- Interviewing, training, coaching, and developing staff skill sets for all support staff and drivers within their area of responsibility.
- Ensuring dispatchers and drivers have the necessary resources to perform their job duties.
- Scheduling (24-hour shift coverage) and ensuring consistent, effective communication with all drivers and support staff.
- Assisting dispatchers and front line supervisors in troubleshooting and resolving day-to-day issues and activities.
- Conducting regular formal employee reviews and informal feedback discussions for all staff within their area of responsibility.
- Monitoring service levels and KPI’s to ensure customer expectations are met or exceeded. Maintaining regular and direct communication with customers.
- Administering corrective disciplinary action as required.
- Supporting and enforcing the Company’s Health and Safety and Compliance policies.
- Maintaining accountability to increase efficiency, drive cost reduction, improve service levels, and increase employee retention and satisfaction.
Who you are:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a supervisory or management role, with a preference for experience in the transportation or logistics industry.
- Proven leadership and people/team development skills. An understanding that strong EQ is as important to success as any specific job knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and proven written communication skills, including internal and customer email, phone, and in-person.
- Proven ability to utilize strong organization and prioritization skills to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Direct hands-on experience with daily staffing adjustments in a variable work volume environment
- MS Office proficiency, in particular, Word and Excel
- Experience working in a 24 x 7 operation/industry.
- Post-secondary or equivalent experience an asset.
- Familiarity with Hours of Service an asset.
- Class 1 license and previous driving experience an asset.
- Cryogenics / Tanker / Dangerous Goods experience an asset.
- Direct experience with administering progressive discipline.
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
Why work for Canada Cartage?
We are a family-oriented company with competitive benefits, including extended health and dental, RRSP and Company-Matching pension plans; discounted hotels, car rentals, entertainment, gym memberships, phone plans, electronics, to name a few of the perks; a cohesive team and a positive, hard-working atmosphere. We have fun events throughout the year, like truck rodeos, summer barbeques and driver-appreciation week that regularly bring us together. It’s important to give back to the communities in which we operate, so we volunteer with and donate to local charities.
We also have Company wide recognition initiatives designed to recognize drivers and staff when they demonstrate outstanding customer service, teamwork and our core values.
Why do we have one of the lowest driver turn-over rates in Canada? A team environment, short-haul regular routes and great benefits. Come work with us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMA1riOzPI
Recognized leader in the industry:
Canada Cartage has been recognized on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022. This is the sixth straight year that Canada Cartage has been included on this list. https://www.forbes.com/companies/canada-cartage/?list=canada-best-employers&sh=7841454553d8
The Canada’s Best Employers 2022 title, along with our 6th year of being recognized by Trucking HR as one of Canada’s “Top Fleet Employers” serves to reinforce Canada Cartage’s reputation as an employer of high quality.
We’re growing! We have also been ranked in the top 10 of Today’s Trucking top 100 ranking of Canada’s largest for-hire truck fleets for 2022. https://hubs.la/Q017bTLd0
Celebrating 100 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3S-CtHQhVY
Integrity: We conduct our business with honour, honest and ethics with our people, the environment and legal matters. We believe I being transparent and trustworthy, respecting the traditional “handshake” value system and earning our way in.
Humanity: We are a family minded organization, caring for people and treating them with dignity, decency and respect, be it employees, customers, suppliers or our partners. Open door policy and dealings is our way.
Accountability: Accountability and accessibility to our staff, customers and our customers’ customers is of utmost importance to us. We enable a high level of two way communication, providing access to people who wil deal with issues ad have the willingness to resolve things. We will be relied on and held accountable for our results and our long term commitments.
Collaboration: We understand that results are the product of a team effort. As part of our process, we ensure collaboration with all our staff at all levels in all roles across departmental lines. With our customers, we use a collaborative style approach, sharing ownership to ensure a successful operation.
Dedication: Our organization is employee and customer-driven. We encourage an environment of conscientious effort and earnestness, hiring problem solvers who are responsive and have a "can-do" attitude to get the job done.
Leadership: Personal leadership to us means being competent, taking ownership, demonstrating initiative, and having a voice. Corporate leadership to us means being leaders in the market, continuous improvement and innovation, and empowering those around you. https://jobs.jobvite.com/canadacartage
Come work with an industry leader!
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people, members of visible minority groups, and women.