HR Business Partner
HR BUSINESS PARTNER
Why you’ll love Canada Cartage
An iconic Canadian company with over 100 years of helping companies grow and succeed in Canada, we provide national dedicated fleet solutions, general freight services, managed transportation, fulfillment & distribution, and home delivery. With a national network of terminals, cross-docks, and distribution centers, we are one of Canada’s largest and most trusted supply chain service providers. Driven to exceed customer expectations, and supported by technology and innovation, we bring simplicity to complex logistics challenges.
We work with intelligent and focused leaders who are driven to create an outstanding customer experience in partnership with Canadian leading brands. Canada Cartage is deep rooted in family values with an entrepreneurial culture where ideas are welcomed, growth is fostered and high performance is championed. A recognized thought leader and founded in 1914, Canada Cartage dominates the industry by delivering innovative fleet solutions.
Reporting to the HR Manager, the HR Generalist will serve as the first point of contact for supporting and resolving employee relations issues, implementing HR programs, policies and procedures, training & development and providing monthly/quarterly support for HR reporting and metrics.
This position is well positioned for someone who thrives on challenges and who enjoys working in a fast-paced dynamic work environment where the ability to adapt effectively to change is key. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, confident, exercises good judgment and decision-making ability and takes initiative to provide excellent service to our stakeholders while being part of a collaborative and energetic HR team who is committed to add value to the organization.
Schedule: Monday to Friday, days
Location: Hybrid opportunity, supporting on-site London, Guelph and Oshawa
What you will do
- Coach and advise Managers on complex and diverse employee and labour relations issues (i.e. performance management, attendance management, disability management, workplace investigations, grievances, employee exits), including compiling and preparing evidence to support appropriate recommendations.
- Provide overall employee relations support to all staff inquiries regarding policies and procedures.
- Participates in the development and implementation of organizational programs and initiatives
- Build effective relationships with internal clients to understand their business goals to proactively identify and implement solutions in line with their strategy.
- Field, investigative and resolve employee issues, concerns and complaints.
- Monitor employee engagement and retention and suggest recommendations where required.
- Facilitate Human Resources training programs including Progressive Discipline, Coaching for Performance, Supervisory Leadership, etc.
- Communicate and assist with the development of objectives for semi-annul and annual performance reviews.
- Manage various HR projects related to the HR strategy as assigned
- Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of the department and services performed.
- Maintain and foster relationships to enable collaboration with all levels of the organization ensuring a high level of customer service is provided.
- Maintenance of personnel files, other duties as required, some travel may be required
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree/Certificate in Human Resources
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience as an HR generalist is required
- Previous experience as a Business Partner within a unionized environment is required
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to influence decisions
- Ability to work with senior leadership to implement effective change management processes
- Demonstrated professionalism and ability to maintain confidentiality; ethical
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with all levels of the organization
- Comprehensive knowledge of Canada Labor Code (CLC), Human Rights, Accommodation, etc.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, results oriented work environment
- CHRP (Certified Human Resources Profession) designation
- Transportation or supply chain management experience/knowledge an asset
- Valid drivers license and reliable transportation
Why people love working for Canada Cartage
- We offer hybrid and flexible working opportunities.
- Extended health and dental, retirement plans
- Paid personal days and sick days
- Cohesive team and a positive, hard-working atmosphere.
- Meaningful opportunities for career growth.
- Company wide recognition initiatives designed to recognize employees when they demonstrate outstanding customer service, teamwork and our core values.
- Perks - discounted hotels, car rentals, entertainment, gym memberships, phone plans, electronics, to name a few
- Fun events throughout the year, like summer barbeques and driver-appreciation week that regularly bring us together.
- We give back to the communities in which we operate by volunteering and donating to local charities.
- We are a strong company that weathers the storm through pandemics and recessionary periods, so that we can benefit from good economic environments.
We are a top employer!
Canada Cartage has been recognized on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022. This is the sixth straight year that Canada Cartage has been included on this list.
The Canada’s Best Employers 2022 title, along with our 6th year of being recognized by Trucking HR as one of Canada’s “Top Fleet Employers” serves to reinforce Canada Cartage’s reputation as an employer of high quality.
We’re growing! We have also been ranked in the top 10 of Today’s Trucking top 100 ranking of Canada’s largest for-hire truck fleets for 2022. https://hubs.la/Q017bTLd0
Celebrating 100 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3S-CtHQhVY
Why do we have one of the lowest driver turn-over rates in Canada? A team environment, short-haul regular routes and great benefits. Come work with us:
Integrity: We conduct our business with honour, honest and ethics with our people, the environment and legal matters. We believe I being transparent and trustworthy, respecting the traditional “handshake” value system and earning our way in.
Humanity: We are a family minded organization, caring for people and treating them with dignity, decency and respect, be it employees, customers, suppliers or our partners. Open door policy and dealings is our way.
Accountability: Accountability and accessibility to our staff, customers and our customers’ customers is of utmost importance to us. We enable a high level of two way communication, providing access to people who wil deal with issues ad have the willingness to resolve things. We will be relied on and held accountable for our results and our long term commitments.
Collaboration: We understand that results are the product of a team effort. As part of our process, we ensure collaboration with all our staff at all levels in all roles across departmental lines. With our customers, we use a collaborative style approach, sharing ownership to ensure a successful operation.
Dedication: Our organization is employee and customer-driven. We encourage an environment of conscientious effort and earnestness, hiring problem solvers who are responsive and have a "can-do" attitude to get the job done.
Leadership: Personal leadership to us means being competent, taking ownership, demonstrating initiative, and having a voice. Corporate leadership to us means being leaders in the market, continuous improvement and innovation, and empowering those around you.
Come work with an industry leader!
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Before you start with us, we will conduct a criminal record check, verify your education, and check your references.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people, members of visible minority groups, and women.