Director of Human Resources
Reporting to the Vice President, the Director, Human Resources as a key member of the Senior Leadership team by partnering with the business to support the execution of human resources strategies that deliver on established and future business priorities. The Director is responsible for the development and implementation of HR programs and services that drive the overall business performance and engagement These include, but are not limited to, employee relations, compensation and benefits, performance management, succession planning, employee engagement, policy and procedure development and application.
The Director of Human Resources is a driver in attracting, retaining and growing talent and is critical in executing the company’s engagement and retention strategy in support of being an Employer of Choice.
The Director leads a team of Human Resource professionals who will be a key driver in developing, maintaining and promoting a high performance, customer focused, employee-oriented culture which emphasizes accountability, integrity and results.
- Contributes to the development of the Human Resources Strategic Plan, leading the development of HR strategies and solutions, including internal communication, Total Rewards, Training & Development, Workforce Planning and Employee Engagement.
- Operates as a member of the senior leadership team in developing business strategies and contributing to operational and management decision making in meeting Company strategic business objectives.
- Partners with business leaders in the development of engagement action plans in alignment with their future business needs.
- Builds trust, partnerships with Eastern Canada Senior leaders and leads the HR team in providing counsel, expertise and solutions that support the mandate and vision of the HR team.
- Lead and coach the team to successfully support current and future strategies while being credible, proactive and a trusted advisor to their client groups.
- Provides ongoing consultation, informal training and development opportunities to direct reports, employees and leaders including identification of learning needs, creation of development plans.
- Provides support to the Vice President in the implementation of strategic projects (Retention and Employee Engagement; Onboarding/Orientation, Succession Planning, etc.)
- Management of Employee Relations and related strategies for Ontario.
- Provides pro-active and specialized employee relations advice to managers in order to minimize employment related risks.
- Manages high risk and sensitive workplace issues and conflicts.
- Participates in Labour negotiations and managing and negotiating collective agreements.
- Driver diversity efforts to ensure a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Responsible for the administration and development of total rewards program to ensure that our employee value proposition is communicated effectively.
- Management of compensation program, including best practices and principles to support the design and creation of competitive compensation programs to drive employee performance and business results.
- Other duties as required
- Travel may be required
Qualifications and Core Competencies:
- 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in the field of human resources with experience at the senior management level.
- Minimum 3 years at a Senior Manager or Director level.
- Bachelor Degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations or related university degree. Completed or working towards the CPHR/L designation would be an asset.
- Proven experience in partnering with senior executives within an organization, influencing strategy at eh leadership level that results in a measured increase in business performance.
- Extensive experience providing employment related advice and strategic counsel to multiple business partners on a variety of employee relations, legislative and employment issues with a view to meeting business needs while minimizing legal risks to the organization and supporting overall employee engagement.
- Strong understanding of applicable employment, human rights and duty to accommodate legislation.
- Demonstrated conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Highly developed leadership, team building, coaching and conflict resolution skills..
- Can quickly establish credibility and respect and build strong working relationships with staff at all levels within the organization.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) - handles complex and difficult situations with thought and confidence.
- Ability to recognize the value and responsibility of working in a team; actively supports and develops team members.
- Able to work to deadlines and adapt to changing conditions.
- Ability to generate effective and pragmatic solutions to new situations and problems as they are presented.
- Demonstrates passion - approaches all tasks in an enthusiastic way.
- Committed to upholding professional standards.
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people,
members of visible minority groups and women
Canada Cartage is a leading national provider of customer-located, dedicated trucking services and warehouse solutions. The majority of Canada Cartage's fleet and drivers are dedicated to specific customers and reside at their locations. Since its founding in 1914, Canada Cartage has provided a complete range of transportation services, specializing in the provision of fully outsourced, customer-located, dedicated trucking services. Canada Cartage was one of the first carriers to offer this service to Canadian companies and is currently one of the largest in the country, supplying dedicated fleet solutions to many corporations, some for more than 50 years. Canada Cartage's operations are located in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec. Canada Cartage offers comprehensive warehousing and distribution services on both a full-service and a contract basis through its Direct Distribution Centres division. These services extend beyond the basics of traditional warehousing to include web-based ordering, real-time inventory management, pick-pack services, consolidation (railcar and container), distribution of products on short notice and efficient management of inventory.