Safety & Compliance Manager
SAFETY & COMPLIANCE MANAGER
At Canada Cartage we work with intelligent and focused leaders who are driven to create an outstanding customer experience in partnership with Canadian leading brands. Canada Cartage is deep rooted in family values with an entrepreneurial culture where ideas are welcomed, growth is fostered and high performance is championed. A recognized thought leader and founded in 1914, Canada Cartage dominates the industry by delivering innovative fleet solutions.
Canada Cartage has an exciting opportunity for a Safety & Compliance Manager. With a preference for this role to be located at our Edmonton Terminal, the Safety and Compliance Manager will be responsible for leading a team of Safety professionals in our Alberta locations, while ensuring all Safety and compliance standards are met, both internal and external.
Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Provide company-wide leadership in the areas of:
- Provincial regulations for province(s) of responsibility
- Regional Long Combination Vehicle (LCV) program if applicable
- Orientation Training
- Hours of Service (HOS),XRS, OT1 and ELD (Electronic Log devices)
- Pre-Trip and EDVIR
- Cargo Load Securement
- Defensive Driving / Professional Driver Improvement Course (PDIC)
- Carriers Edge Online training
- Radius (CAR, SDP and other apps)
- Smartdrive and other Dash Camera systems
Manage Safety Functions
- Incident Response Team – Co-ordinate members, schedules and manage response to all incidents. Participate onsite as nec.
- Co-ordinate and manage Accident / Incident response and investigation, including but not limited to: ARC (Accident Review Committee), RCA ( Root Cause analysis), and our SDP (Safe Driving Program
- With the goal of proactively eliminating events; Ensure appropriate Quantity and Quality of:
- Driver coaching, in cab and classroom
- Job site observations (JSO’s)
- Management site observations (MSO’s)
- O/O inspections independently and with operations partners
- Company equipment inspections
- Tag program
- Ensure operational environments and all shareholders remain compliant and safe.
- Ensure drivers are coached in safe driving habits, regulatory issues and general safety requirements at set out in the Laws, Transportation regulations and company policies (TSA, CTPAT/PIP, company and customer policies and procedures, among others). Including specific focus on Cryogenic/Tanker customers and their Safety requirements.
- Manage and Utilize Carriers Edge to support Employee and Driver training
- Manage and Utilize Speed Gauge to ensure compliance with Speed limits
- Ensure team conducts random and scheduled audits of: telematics, E-Logs, Safe Driver Program to ensure unsafe habits are identified and corrected.
- Monitor, analyze and report to leadership on all operating authorities, carrier profiles, incoming tickets and violations; remediate as per company policy
- Ensure compliance with all Driver files, Abstracts and Driver Licenses
- Lead all regional audits, both internal and external, and respond to all deficiencies as required.
Safety & Operations Support Functions:
- Attend regular operations meetings to share safety activities within the division
- Provide safety results to various leaders through weekly/monthly reporting
- Coach and mentor operations team on safety and compliance matters
- Liaise with other departments to understand challenges and develop solutions to improve overall safety results
- Lead and support key corporate initiatives ie: 4DX, Safety improvement action plans, etc.
- Provide leadership and support to those performing In-Cab, Onsite and Classroom training for Orientations, Customer’s Requirements and National Safety Code related courses
- Ensure Road test conducted per company policy and to best standards
- Ensure new hires meet US Drug and Alcohol (D & A) requirements; Support FAST (Free and Secure Trade)Program
- Understand and ensure we populate the National Safety and compliance Database (CAR)
- Update the Major events Log
- Support safety initiative in all depts.; such as tool box meetings, or customer focused driver meetings.
- Ensure understanding of Equipment technology and be able to instruct operators and drivers on each system (Ie; Collision mitigation systems, etc..)
- Monitor and ensure adequate supply of Safety equipment and supplies at each location
- Other duties as required
Skills and experience:
- Minimum 5 years of hands on Safety related experience in the Transportation industry
- Travel to various locations as needed
- Ability to drive organizational and provincial legislation changes
- Class 1 License preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Hands on with a sense of urgency, ability to manage under pressure and manage multiple priorities and projects
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Certified Instructor in the following capacities an asset; Long Combination Vehicles (LCV), TDG, WHMIS, Forklift, Air Brakes
- Able to pass a criminal background check
Why work for Canada Cartage?
We are a family-oriented company with competitive benefits, including extended health and dental, RRSP and Company-Matching pension plans; discounted hotels, car rentals, entertainment, gym memberships, phone plans, electronics, to name a few of the perks; a cohesive team and a positive, hard-working atmosphere. We have fun events throughout the year, like truck rodeos, summer barbeques and driver-appreciation week that regularly bring us together. It’s important to give back to the communities in which we operate, so we volunteer with and donate to local charities.
We also have Company wide recognition initiatives designed to recognize drivers and staff when they demonstrate outstanding customer service, teamwork and our core values.
Why do we have one of the lowest driver turn-over rates in Canada? A team environment, short-haul regular routes and great benefits. Come work with us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMA1riOzPI
Recognized leader in the industry:
Canada Cartage has been recognized on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022. This is the sixth straight year that Canada Cartage has been included on this list. https://www.forbes.com/companies/canada-cartage/?list=canada-best-employers&sh=7841454553d8
The Canada’s Best Employers 2022 title, along with our 6th year of being recognized by Trucking HR as one of Canada’s “Top Fleet Employers” serves to reinforce Canada Cartage’s reputation as an employer of high quality.
We’re growing! We have also been ranked in the top 10 of Today’s Trucking top 100 ranking of Canada’s largest for-hire truck fleets for 2022. https://hubs.la/Q017bTLd0
Celebrating 100 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3S-CtHQhVY
Integrity: We conduct our business with honour, honest and ethics with our people, the environment and legal matters. We believe I being transparent and trustworthy, respecting the traditional “handshake” value system and earning our way in.
Humanity: We are a family minded organization, caring for people and treating them with dignity, decency and respect, be it employees, customers, suppliers or our partners. Open door policy and dealings is our way.
Accountability: Accountability and accessibility to our staff, customers and our customers’ customers is of utmost importance to us. We enable a high level of two way communication, providing access to people who wil deal with issues ad have the willingness to resolve things. We will be relied on and held accountable for our results and our long term commitments.
Collaboration: We understand that results are the product of a team effort. As part of our process, we ensure collaboration with all our staff at all levels in all roles across departmental lines. With our customers, we use a collaborative style approach, sharing ownership to ensure a successful operation.
Dedication: Our organization is employee and customer-driven. We encourage an environment of conscientious effort and earnestness, hiring problem solvers who are responsive and have a "can-do" attitude to get the job done.
Leadership: Personal leadership to us means being competent, taking ownership, demonstrating initiative, and having a voice. Corporate leadership to us means being leaders in the market, continuous improvement and innovation, and empowering those around you. https://jobs.jobvite.com/canadacartage
Come work with an industry leader!
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people, members of visible minority groups, and women.