HR Generalist- mid level
At Canada Cartage we work with zeal, intelligent and focused leaders who are driven to create an outstanding customer experience in partnership with Canadian leading brands. Canada Cartage is deep rooted in family values with an entrepreneurial culture where ideas are welcomed, growth is fostered and high performance is championed. A recognized thought leader and founded in 1914, Canada Cartage dominates the industry by delivering innovative fleet solutions.
We are currently looking to add a mid level HR Generalist who is equally passionate about serving the community and achieving operational success alongside our dedicated and loyal employees.
This position serves as the first point of contact for labour relations issues, on-boarding/off-boarding, supporting and resolving employee relations issues, implementing HR programs, policies and procedures, training and development and providing monthly/quarterly support for HR reporting and metrics. This role comes with a growth plan with potential of the right incumbent developing into the Western Canada Labour Relations Lead within 2 years.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coach and advise Managers on complex and diverse employee and labour relations issues (i.e. performance management, attendance management, disability management, workplace investigations, employee exits), including compiling and preparing evidence to support appropriate recommendations.
- Provide overall labour relations support to all staff inquiries regarding policies and procedures.
- Participates in the development and implementation of organizational programs and initiatives.
- Build effective relationships with internal clients to understand their business goals to proactively identify and implement solutions in line with their strategy.
- Field, investigate and resolve employee issues, concerns and complaints.
- Provides advice and guidance regarding the administration, interpretation and application of multiple collective agreements.
- Provides assistance to the Vice President with grievance and arbitration process; provides support for the negotiation process.
- Ensures that the grievance activities are monitored and participates in the assessment of cases considered for reference to arbitration.
- Performs thorough and effective grievance and complaint investigations to effectively resolve employee issues.
- Facilitate Human Resources training programs including Progressive Discipline, Coaching for Performance, Supervisory Leadership, etc.
- Communicate and assist with the development of objectives for semi-annual and annual performance reviews.
- Responsible for all onboarding and orientation of new employees.
- Manage various HR projects related to the HR strategy as assigned
- Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of the department and services performed.
- Continually strives to improve work processes, methods, environment, customer service, and personal and team performance.
- Some travel may be required
- Other duties as required.
Working Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree/Certificate in Human Resources, Industrial Relations or a related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as an HR Generalist or LR Specialist is required
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to influence decisions is required
- Ability to work with senior leadership to implement effective change management processes
- Demonstrated professionalism and ability to maintain confidentiality; ethical
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with all levels of the organization
- Comprehensive knowledge of Canada Labour Code (CLC), Human Rights, Accommodation, etc.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, results oriented work environment
- CHRP (Certified Human Resources Profession) designation would be considered an asset
- Transportation experience/knowledge an asset
We would like to thank all those expressing an interest in this position; however only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Committed to employment equity, Canada Cartage Systems LP encourages applications from Aboriginal people, members of visible minority groups, and women.