Claims Intern | Summer 2023
Make an impact as you gain meaningful experience and build your career toolbox!
Advance your business and industry knowledge while developing your career foundation with an internship opportunity beyond the classroom. At Builders Mutual, our interns build a career toolbox of technical, leadership, and professional skills, while engaging in meaningful work that impacts our business, leading to powerful results. From interns to senior leadership, our team of 450 industry experts do their best work each day, creating a one-stop resource for all commercial insurance solutions and construction safety resources. Our cultural elements of teamwork, inclusion, expertise, and community aren't just words on a page — it's integral to who we are, how we work, and what sets us apart. We are always striving to be the best, serve better, and achieve more. Work with us and start building your career!
Claims adjusters are in the business of helping our customers get back to work or life after they've suffered a loss from an accident or disaster. You will learn about our products, core appetite, business processes, and insurance lines that make a difference in the industry. Your strengths will include customer service, interpersonal skills, time management, and negotiation. You will develop skills to understand how the claims process fits into the insurance cycle, focusing on individual claims handling, departmental metrics, and claims adjuster support. This intern will be willing to self-study and obtain their adjuster license (paid by the company) prior to the internship.
Intern Orientation and Capstone Presentation: We set you up for success with a two-week orientation to kick start your program. Then, when your experience is complete, you will share your successes with our executives and leadership team.
Customized Departmental Training and Shadowing: Learn and shadow the inner workings of your specific department and how your team contributes to the overall success of Builders Mutual.
Dedicated Intern Manager: Receive regular feedback from your manager, participate in career-related discussions, and provide feedback.
GiveBack: Contribute to the community with our summer volunteer projects.
Builders University and Social Events: Participate in weekly professional development sessions, individual assessments, and leadership roundtable discussions to build your career toolbox.
Networking & Intern Buddy: Connect with industry experts, leaders, and your assigned new grad buddy to build your professional network.
Hybrid Work: You will have a meaningful experience at our headquarters in our Raleigh, NC office a minimum of two days with the flexibility of remote work three days a week.
New grad opportunities: Take advantage of your intern experience while being a top performer; you may have an opportunity to join the Builders Mutual team after graduation.
Skills to get the INTERNSHIP done RIGHT:
- Current undergrad student working towards a degree in Risk Management Insurance or Business not graduating prior to December 2023 or after December 2025
- Desire to work for an NC based regional carrier upon graduation
- Willingness to study and obtain an Adjuster License prior to internship
- You've got practical experience inside or outside of school or work.
- Leader, you have demonstrable experience (group projects and/or clubs plus engaged in class)
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and interpersonal
- Proven team player who takes the initiative and works with others to achieve team goals
- High-level analytical capabilities
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) plus you can learn new software or tools quickly
- Ability to commit for 10 weeks during the summer of 2023, working 37.5 hours per week
- Willing to live or commute to Raleigh during your intern experience
Builders Mutual is an Equal Opportunity Employer.