January 28, 2021
Under general direction, the Nurse Practitioner will need to assess and evaluate the health care needs of patients through various programs that will include the Annual Health Assessment, Quality Performance Programs, and Pharmacy related programs. Provides health care services that requires possession of advanced knowledge and skills and the exercise of a high degree of clinical judgment in primary care and continuity of care. Performs related duties as required.
Position does not supervise anyone.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by everyone in this classification.
Performs but not limited to Annual Health Assessment of patients through audio and video services.
- Use patient centered care concepts in delivering patient care, review patients’ medical charts daily to prep for appointments to look and discuss suspected disease states.
- Actively document clinical information, results from labs and radiology, medication, measure behavioral health using PHQ-9, health outcomes
- Identifies actual or potential risks, based upon observation of physiological and/or behavioral data and respond appropriately.
- Formulates problem lists based on clinical findings during appointments and review of labs and radiology results.
- Provides and evaluates patient care according to protocol's and quality assurance program criteria.
- Referrals for Preventative Measures including labs and radiology
- Per CMS regulations the following must be conducted during appointments: Medication Review, Reconciliation Post Discharge, Transition of Care, Care for Older Adults, Meaningful use, Behavioral Health, Social Determinants of Health and Patient Experience
- Capturing HEDIS Quality Gaps during appointment including Diabetes, Cancer Screenings, Nephropathy, and Statins
- Will be required to attend documentation training, EMR Training, and telehealth portal training
- Collaboration with HCC Coders on clinical documentation review before submission of chart for claim and diagnoses accuracy
- General knowledge of diagnoses codes and supporting documentation required in chart
- Ensures best practice use of Electronic Medical Records and other tools provided
Provides Care to Patients
- Perform certain functions and procedures, which overlap those of physician; details listed out on the Family Nurse Practitioner Standardized Procedures in accordance to The Nurse Practice Act In The California Business and Professions Code,Chapter6 Article2,Section2725,and The California Administrative Code,Title16, Article7,Section1470-4 and Title22, Division3, Section 51240(Medi-Cal).
- NP role is integral to the population health/proactive outreach activities of each team. As such NP participation in population health meetings is expected. It is expected that working with case management and social workers may be also necessary with some complex patients.
- Practice of evidence-based medicine and adherence to both national and internal practice guidelines and policies.
- Utilizes screening, assessment and treatment data to provide patient/family education.
Uses effective and appropriate communication styles with patients, their families, significant others, physicians, visitors, vendors, peers, staff and professional colleagues.
- Greets and interacts in a pleasant and courteous manner, specifically demonstrating respect, trust caring and empathy.
- Listens effectively, recognize and accept constructive criticism, and is open to opposing points of view.
- Treats all patients, their families, significant others, visitors, peers, staff, provides and professional colleagues in a pleasant and courteous manner.
- Demonstrates appropriate and acceptable verbal and non-verbal behaviors while recognizing varying health literacy.
Functions as a team member to support practice’s mission statement, goals and objectives.
- Acts as a willing and available resource to patients and team members.
- Assures the work environment is safe for employees, patients, and visitors.
- Contributes to the development of policies and procedures.
Contributing to Clinical Performance Goals within the Quality and Risk departments
- At or above 75th percentile in patient satisfaction based on standardized survey tools
- Focus and documenting on Preventive Health, Diabetes, Depression, Coronary artery disease and Vulnerable Populations
- High levels of patient engagement through patient education
- Sustainable business model, including accurate coding and documentation and support of HCC efforts when appropriate
- Completing 8-10 appointments a day including reviewing and assessing patient charts, uploading clinical data with corresponding Diagnoses codes into system.
Complies with Brown & Toland Physicians policies
- Adheres to the practice’s confidentiality, compliance, HIPAA, policies and guidelines.
- Complies with the Safety Management Program; corrects and reports unsafe situations and practices.
- Demonstrates respect for the rights of patients and their families
- Must have a quiet place to conduct appointments (Need to have strong internet connection), Video appointments will take place, dressing professionally is required
- Technology Level: Mid-Level
- Will need to help trouble shoot with patients on how to turn on video, log into telehealth tool, mute/unmute etc. (Good Customer/Patient Service)
- Languages Preferred: Spanish, Cantonese/Mandarin
- Have a thorough knowledge of medical assisting responsibilities; Knowledge of patient centered care concepts in delivering patient care and performing related activities; Experience with an electronic medical record, MS word, Excel, Outlook and the ability to learn new applications; skills developing and maintain clinical quality assurance.
- Act as a willing and available resource to patients and team members; ability to measure and implement continuous quality improvement, actively participate in team meetings and patient care plan and delivery.
- Use effective and appropriate communication styles with patients, their families, significant others, physicians, vendors, peers, staff and professional colleague; Provide excellent communication and coordination among the team members.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Initiates and can function independently as well as interdependently.
- Ability to initiate, accept and adapt to change.
- Work effectively with others to promote teamwork and productivity.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information and ensures compliance with privacy regulations.
- Maintains confidentiality of internal business matters.
- Exhibits behaviors critical to supporting professional work atmosphere.
- Organizes effectively and efficiently to accommodate interruptions and changing priorities.
- Displays positive and friendly attitudes to all.
SCOPE OF JOB DESCRIPTION AND MODIFICATIONS:
This job description does not limit the tasks that an employee may reasonably be requested to perform. Substantive changes to this job description may be necessary to meet the changing business needs of the firm. Notwithstanding this Job Description, all Brown & Toland employees are at-will employees – each may resign at any time and the firm is free to terminate the employee at any time, with or without cause and with or without notice
- Education: Successful completion of an approved Nurse Practitioner training program that conforms to the Board of Registered Nursing standards, graduate of an accredited Nursing program required; Bachelor's degree in Nursing preferred.
- Demonstrated experience which would provide the knowledge and skill necessary for successful performance as a New-Grad to Mid-Level Nurse Practitioner.
- Required: Active and good standing RN licensure and Nurse Practitioner Certification in the State of California
- Active and good standing NPI number
- Experience: post-graduate training in area of responsibility. 2-4 years as a Clinical/Family Nurse Practitioner
- Required Licenses/Certifications: Possession of a valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse and certification as a Nurse Practitioner issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing;
- Preferred Licenses/Certification: For Nurse Practitioners, possession of a current Furnishing Number issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing AND Certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) OR Certification by the National Certification Corporation as a Women's Health Care Nurse Practitioner (WHNP).