At Brown & Toland we’re the people behind the scenes who make sure our Physicians have the time and support to do what they do best- care for our members. Together, we form one of the most recognized medical groups in the California. We are 2,700+ local physicians, working in 38 cities in California, caring for more than 350,000 patients. If working with highly competent, hard-working, thoughtful clinicians who value good ideas and are passionate about reshaping healthcare excites you, then we’re thrilled to welcome you to your new career.
Job Summary & Responsibilities
The Compensation Consultant will provide strategic compensation solutions, leadership guidance, administration, and internal leadership guidance in support of Brown & Toland’s business strategy. The Compensation Consultant identifies and evaluates compensation trends and best practices for a Physician Provider group and Corporate function. In addition, recommends policies, practices and process improvements addressing base pay administration, variable pay, employee recognition and other cash compensation programs. The Compensation Consultantwill research job requirements and evaluate positions to ensure the company is competitive in cash compensation.
Job Assessment and Descriptions
- Partnering with the HR Business Partners and manager, prepare and maintain job descriptions for each position in the organization; ensures descriptions accurately reflect the work being performed by incumbents.
- Formulates recommendations regarding FLSA exemptions, job revisions and organizational structures.
- Evaluates and implements job analysis instruments and materials
- Provides advice to managers and staff on compensation matters including reorganizations, promotions and offers of employment.
- Evaluates new and existing jobs and job families to determine appropriate compensation levels to determine the appropriate base pay and incentive compensation packages.
- Researches current compensation trends and regulatory/legislation requirements and recommends programs/changes to the Compensation team.
- Develops policy and procedures as they relate to Compensation programs and effectiveness.
- Advises the organization on applicable state and federal employment regulation related to compensation policies
- Administers the Provider/ Physician Compensation Program.
- Partners with various divisions (i.e., Network Development, Strategy, Enterprise Analytics and IT) to gather the necessary productivity and value data required to complete compensation calculations.
- Coordinates with Payroll to maintain the necessary pay codes and related reporting. Administers the “advance payment” and “reconciliation” process win coordination with Payroll.
- Leads and supports administration and communication of the annual merit, bonus, and long-term compensation programs.
- Prepares and maintains compensation reports, analytics and comp data integrity within the HCMS system.
- Facilitate compensation and benefits survey participation and analysis. Maintain survey data in the PayFactors compensation administration software application.
- Creates and maintains People & Talent related metrics calculations and spreadsheets. Prepares periodic management reporting on metric trends.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to make independent decisions and recommendations based on compensation principles and philosophy
- Strong demonstration in working effectively with all levels of employees, including executives
- Ability to work in a fast-paced changing, and at times, ambiguous environment
- Strong demonstration in navigating and responding to rapidly changing environment
- Possess high level of integrity with understanding of the need for confidentiality when assessing and using sensitive HR data
- Expert Excel skills, including Pivot Tables, formulas
- Excellent written, verbal communication and graphic communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field required.
- Masters Degree in Business, HR, Economics or related field.
- At least 7 years of overall experience in compensation administration and analysis with at least 5 years in the healthcare field. Experience with Physician/ Provider compensation models and programs.
- Systems experience with ADP Workforce Now, Oracle, Workday and/or SuccessFactors.
- Ability to use discretion and produce highly accurate work.
- Well-organized and confident to work independently but will be a strong team player.
- Strong business acumen and high level of judgement and discretion required.
- Requires strong problem solving, communication skills, customer service and analytical skills.
- Project management experience overseeing various projects.
- Extensive knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Extensive knowledge of compensation laws, regulations and best practices.
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP), either in progress or completed.
- Human Resources certificate (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, HR Certificate)
- Works cooperatively with Team members across the organization to achieve shared objectives
- Partners with Team Members to get work done
- Gains trust and support across the organization
- Regularly meets targets and metrics
- Pushes Team Members to set high standards and performance targets and exceed them
- Sets solid targets that drive results
- Contributes to a work climate where differences are valued and supported
- Applies Team Members diverse experiences, styles, backgrounds and perspectives
- Treats Team Members with kindness
- Acts fairly despite conflicting demands
- Behaves in a way that is consistent with what he/she says around honesty, ethics, and integrity; leads by example
- Presents truthful information even if not always favorable
- Introduces new ways of looking at problems
- Can take a creative idea and put it into practice
- Encourages diverse thinking to promote and nurture innovation
Requirement (direct from leveling guide)[A10]
Scope & Impact
Knowledge & Skill
Physical Requirements and Work Environment[A11]
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Activity: Sit: Continuously (more than 2/3 of the work shift)
- Activity: Stand: Occasionally (up to 1/3 of the work shift)
- Activity: Walk: Occasionally (up to 1/3 of the work shift)
- Motion: Bend/Twist: Up to 1/3 of time
- Motion: Carry/Lift: Up to 1/3 of time
- Motion: Reach: Up to 1/3 of time
- Motion: Squat: Up to 1/3 of time
- Use of Hands (Left/Right): General Motor Function
- Use of Hands (Left/Right): Precise Motor Function (Or Fine Manipulation)
- Use of Hands: Repetitive Motion: 1/3 or more of time
- Weight Lifted/Force Exerted: Up to 10 lbs: Up to 1/3 of time
- Work Environment: Special visual or auditory requirements including working with a computer terminal.
[A1]To be completed by People & Talent following role benchmarking
[A2]Assign based on job requirements using leveling guide. If role level is between 2 levels during recruitment process, please note and Job Description can be finalized for role at later date
[A3]3 to 5 sentence summary of role (i.e. the elevator pitch for a position)
[A4]What are the 3-4 high level key essential functions / responsibilities of role
[A5]Name up to 3-4 discrete skills required for role (i.e. coding experience with R, financial modeling experience, etc.)
[A6]Does this position have management responsibility? Scope of responsibility (i.e. number and level of reports)
[A7]Professional level roles typically require college degree. If this is not to be required then significant experience is required to fill this gap
Education requirements should generally track with leveling guidelines
[A8]Experience requirements should generally track with leveling guidelines
[A9]To be completed by People & Talent (standardized core competencies)
[A10]To be completed by People & Talent (standardized leveling factors)
[A11]The leader will need to review and adjust based on the role. For example, IT may require lifting of 20 lbs or greater