Manager, IT Operations
Manager, IT Operations
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Bridge partners with the Liberia Government and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops his/her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. The education crisis is one that requires urgent, collective, and concrete action to surmount. While Liberia has some of the lowest rate of out of school children in the world, the education crisis is not just about out of school children, but also about children who are in school and not learning. In Sub Saharan Africa, statistics say that 88% or almost 9 out of 10 children and adolescents will not be able to read proficiently by the time they are of age to complete primary and lower secondary Education.
Bridge started operations in Liberia in 2016, partnering with the government to launch its first Partnership Schools for nursery and primary schools targeted at providing life changing education for families living in low-income areas in 8 Counties (Bomi, Grand Cap Mount, Bong, Grand Bassa, Margibi, Rivercess, Nimba and Montserrado) under MOE's multi-providers Partnership Schools for Liberia (PSL) program. In 2017, Bridge Liberia further expanded its reach to the other marginalized and vulnerable communities in Grand Kru and Maryland Counties totaling 10 counties of operations in Liberia. The program was later rebranded in 2018 to Liberia Education Advancement Programme (LEAP).
Today, Bridge Liberia works with both communities and governments to ensure thousands of children have access to either a well-run, high achieving affordable public school so that the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 4 of Quality Education becomes a reality for the millions of children in Liberia quickly. You will join a group of young and passionate Liberians taking concrete action to help address the education crisis in Liberia and ensure a better future for the children of Liberia
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
IT Operations Department, Technology Group
IT Operations at Bridge is responsible for last mile delivery of technology, ensuring that everyone at Bridge, from school staff to executives, all have the functioning technology they need to excel at their jobs. It also oversees the technical infrastructure that supports and connects all of Bridge's global offices, as well as the back-office systems that power our customer care centres, finance teams, warehouses, and more.
Within the technology group, IT Operations also holds the distinction of being the only department with a dedicated presence in each of our operating territories, meaning that is also the key conduit and primary advocate for all aspects of technology at Bridge, ensuring the work done by the other technology departments delivers on its potential.
About the Role
The IT Manager role will ensure the provision of superior customer service throughout the business, through the maintenance, enhancement and efficient operation of IT functions. Additionally, the role will include responsibility for ensuring the security and integrity of IT operations and systems, as well as the line management of IT officers.
The flexibility to work outside normal business hours is integral to this role, as is the ability to work under broad direction and minimal supervision.
The role holder will report to the Country Director and collaborate with regional teams in a global matrix organization to help deliver amazing learning gains to all our families.
What You Will Do
The role holder will work collaboratively within the IT Team to achieve the following:
- Provide first point of IT Support contact for all Bridge staff, covering all hardware, software and associated peripherals.
- Deploy computers, academy technology, and associated peripherals including new installations and redeployment of existing equipment.
- Install and configure operating systems and software to agreed standards under the direction of Program Director and senior IT personnel.
- Manage the local area network and internet connection
- Recommend, source, install, and maintain network equipment such as firewalls, routers, and switches
- Maintain existing equipment to standards, by performing upgrades, new installations, and carrying out routine procedures.
- Assist in the compilation and maintenance of an accurate inventory of hardware and software, and ensuring that records are kept up-to-date within the service desk system.
- Ensure network security through installation of appropriate hardware and software, as well as the development of IT policies
- Troubleshoot technical issues to resolution and/or escalate to colleagues, suppliers, or partner organizations as required.
- Log all incidents and service requests in Bridge’s designated service desk system, where necessary login on behalf of Bridge staff.
- Manage service desk tickets, planning and prioritizing systematically to minimize backlog and ensure operational efficiency.
- Expedite the repair of hardware faults and software configuration problems, notifying or forwarding to the relevant suppliers in a timely manner.
- Work with colleagues to monitor performance of Bridge systems, ensuring that issues are appropriately escalated and resolved.
- Supervise, train, and mentor junior staff members in all of the above.
- Provide technical assistance to project teams and undertake technical project roles when required.
- Manage IT infrastructure improvement projects, including scheduling and budgeting.
- Demonstrate commitment to and promotion of a culture of service excellence and continual improvement within the IT Department.
- Maintain and develop excellent working relationships with key suppliers, conducting dealings in a professional and appropriate manner.
- Provide at all times a professional, courteous and rapid response to individual users.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor's degree with superior academic performance
- 5-10 years relevant IT/industry work experience
- Experience working within a fast-paced environment
- Relevant Microsoft certification
- Excellent technical knowledge of PC/Mac hardware
- Working technical knowledge of current protocols, operating systems, and standards
- Software and hardware troubleshooting
- Windows desktop (7/8) and Windows Server (at least 2008) experience
- Routers, switches, and firewall experience
- Microsoft Office 2007/2010 support
- Active Directory administration
- Experience working and training on a variety of IT subjects and applications
- Excellent Writing and oral communication skills
- Good research skills, including ability to identify and propose solutions to issues/crisis
- Knowledge of Android technologies, Smart Phones, LAN and Wi-Fi configurations
- Experience with admin of Microsoft systems such as Navision, IIS, or Sharepoint.
- Experience with AWS
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust