Manager, People Operations
Manager, People Operations - (Location Outside Lagos)
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
People at Bridge
People are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our schools to the software developers building our tech platform – and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth. We are the champions of Bridge culture. We find passionate change-makers across rural communities, informal settlements and global cities who want to lead the movement to reform public education. We help them grow through continuous learning, strong focus on performance and extensive collaboration. We rely on technology to engage with, innovate for and serve thousands of our people spread across multiple time-zones. We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
About the Role
As the People leader for our office in Edo State, you encompass all things People for this office. You will lead employee experience, people operations and administration functions within People. You will also support our talent acquisition efforts as we expand rapidly. As you deliver on your primary functions, you will also be asked to lead or support cross-functional projects for development and execution across our territories and support offices.
What You Will Do
- Be the culture champion for our team.
- Help the team appreciate, understand and celebrate why we do what we do.
- Improve employee experience innovatively in ways that speak Bridge values.
- Innovate by challenging traditional notions of what makes employees happy.
- Use the office design, layout, and every touch-point in an employee life cycle to live our values.
- Support our talent team in hiring, especially during their busy periods, including:
- interviewing candidates;
- administering technical assessments;
- coordinating the interview process; and
- leading on-boarding and induction for all those who join us
- Excel in providing effective and relevant operational support to the team including:
- managing employee contracts;
- benefits administration and management;
- leading performance management initiatives;
- conducting disciplinary investigations; and
- providing appropriate support during separations.
- Foster continuous learning and a performance-oriented culture when developing our talent.
- Comply with our policies: be fair, transparent and consistent.
- Comply with all applicable, local labour laws.
- Maintain diligent records of all relevant employee documentation.
- Use data (from the primary source) to analyse issues and find their solutions.
- Lead innovative and authentic talent development efforts that help our employees continuously learn (by doing) and grow. Measure the results of such interventions.
- Manage office administration.
- Own the budget dedicated for office administration.
- Ensure that employees work in a safe, secure and hygienic environment.
- Use the space to engage with our employees effectively.
- Coordinate all logistics and arrangements for Teacher Training
- As an agile, outcomes focused professional, you may be involved in exciting work that impacts not only the Edo State office, but also other territories and support offices.
What You Should Have
You should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or other related field with top academic marks; MBA/grad degree or HR professional membership a plus
- Minimum of five years of significant leadership experiences in operational roles for rapidly scaling companies
- Strong analytical thinker, ideally with previous experience in board commercial and operational areas
- Self-starter; highly driven individual that will take ownership from the get-go and proactively look for improvement
- Emerging markets experience a major plus
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to work with a very diverse workforce
- Strong project management skills
- A detailed doer– You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver– Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate– The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner– You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.