Senior Android Engineer, Software Development
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Software Development Department, Technology Group
The software development department handles all aspects of delivery related to our custom software applications and services - everything that it takes to turn an idea into working software and delivering value to our users. The department is structured into cross-functional, self-organising teams that work together on projects, short and long, alongside product designers and key business stakeholders.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced full time Senior Android Engineer, Software Development to join our new Hyderabad-based cross-functional software development team, which will build the software that powers and improves our ability to deliver massive learning gains – at scale.
The Hyderabad team will have a special focus on the learning management platform and the rest of the technology running in our academies (which is all Android based). This person will join an elite, interdisciplinary team that will be building the technology that will take Bridge to the next level. It's a great opportunity to grow and learn, while working on developing software with a mission that few, if any, can compete with.
We believe in innovation, fast feedback, and high impact. We have an existing portfolio of native Android applications that undergird our ability to support self-sufficient academy management, engage the local community, and deliver high-quality education to our pupils. However, we need someone that can drive the next generation of these platforms, ensuring high availability even in challenging conditions and generally driving innovation in the mobile space. It's all about rolling up one's sleeves to introduce best practices, deliver key functionality, and pave the way for exciting future possibilities, like adaptive curriculums and automated grading of tests (to name just a few).
What You Will Do
- Gather requirements, build, test, and ship new Android functionality for our academy tech platform
- Collaborate with the server-side developers to design the APIs for specifically for the Android application (not just consuming APIs that were already developed for a web app)
- Engage on all dimensions of the app, from UI and UX, to business logic, to storage and networking
- Introduce architectural patterns to improve scalability, stability, and maintainability
- Bachelor's degree in related field with superior academic performance
- At least three years of professional Android development experience. Senior Android Engineer
o Especially published apps on Google Play
- Full lifecycle experience, from conceptualisation to deployment to feedback from production
- Experience with writing library projects that get reused across multiple android apps
o Knowledge of Gradle and DI helpful
- Experience architecting whole Android applications, not just adding features or porting existing apps
- Belief in the importance of automated unit, integration, and functional tests for Android apps
- Exposure to continuous integration and continuous delivery practices, especially in an environment of weekly (or even more frequent) releases to production
- Love for collaboration and working with driven stakeholders, including presenting work with confidence when interacting with business owners and users
- Openness and eagerness for learning new paradigms and practices
- Passion for Bridge's vision of democratising the right for all children to succeed
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust