Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Product Management Department
Our Product team works within our Technology Department. The team is responsible for a wide range of our technology products, including the mobile apps used within our schools. One of these apps is our school management app used by our School Leaders on their phone - this app is used to run all of the operational aspects of our schools, including payment of pupil bills, as well as providing ecommerce functionality for the ordering of uniforms and other items required in our schools - the importance of this app should not be underestimated, as in the majority of our schools this phone and app is used in place of any computer and forms the cornerstone of our school technology capabilities. One of our other major products is our teacher app, which allows our teachers to record and track pupil attendance - but most importantly it provides the personalised teaching content for that day for each teacher, to ensure timely and quality learning is happening in all our classrooms throughout the world. The impact of the design and usability of these and other apps is significant - these are core tools that our staff use continually throughout the day, so every refinement and improvement makes a big difference to our staff users - and consequently to the performance of our schools and the effectiveness of our teaching.
About the Role
We are looking for a full time Designer, Product Management to join our new Hyderabad-based cross functional software development team, which is building the software that powers and improves our competitive advantage globally. The Hyderabad team has a special focus on the parts of the system that are more customer facing, dynamic, and strategically important.
You will join an elite team of top tier software developers, overseen by a CTO passionate about delivering high-quality products – we will be building the technology that will take Bridge to the next level. More specifically, this role will be part of a Product team dedicated to defining and directing the work of our development teams. The product team includes a Director of Product Management and two Product Designers, one of them being this role. It's a great opportunity to grow and learn, while working on developing software with a mission that few, if any, can compete with. We believe in innovation, fast feedback, and high impact.
Historically, user centred design has been an underserved function at Bridge. We’re in the process of proactively changing this, so you will need to have the experience necessary to design and develop the practice without a lot of guidance, while simultaneously digging in and rolling up your sleeves to have direct impact across a number of initiatives - it’s an exciting time. Product is a big tent, encompassing many different types of skills – for this role, the ability to perform user research and interaction design are of paramount importance. Moreover, many of our users are not technically sophisticated and use our technology in challenging situations, so you should be able to step outside of stock solutions and really get to know a user base that few pay attention to.
Above all else, we’re looking for ambition, organisation, drive, intellect, problem solving, and respect
for others. You will be part of the Hyderabad high-speed team, which emphasises collaboration across all aspects of delivery. We don't have a lot of managers or decision making hierarchy – we have people passionate about getting their hands dirty and delivering the hotness.
What You Will Do
- Translate strategic business initiatives into designs for amazing digital experiences. This involves collaborating with a variety of stakeholders to define the relevant personas, user journeys, and functional requirements; and then creating the designs that will realise these goals
- Research and analyse the way our data can be used and then drive improvements in user experience
- Own the customer feedback function. We need our Product Designers to build the processes and practices required to ensure that we are continuously gathering and addressing usability issues with our software, not just delivering a product and moving on without regard to how users actually experience it on a day to day basis
- Our Product Designers are at the heart of our products, managing products end to end. So, as well as creating the designs, you’ll also be assisting business stakeholders to define and refine their requests and acting as a product manager/owner in charge of prioritising work to direct our technology delivery teams
- An impressive interaction design portfolio demonstrating the way you work and think
- A love of making visuals, but what drives you is delivering great experiences and solving problems
- A broad understanding of the product process (not just wireframes or visual mockups)
An ability to plan, prepare and conduct research, workshops, requirements gathering and user testing sessions
- At least 2 years’ experience of design working on business-critical digital products
- An eye for trends, but you understand that good design is built on principles and trade-offs
- A detailed knowledge with a wide range of user research methods and techniques
- A passion for Bridge's vision of democratising the right for all children to succeed
- Confidence presenting and defending your work, especially with business stakeholders
Projects you could work on:
- New features for all our current Android apps
- Dashboards to facilitate data driven decisions
- Payment processes. We want to simplify the way our parents pay for our services
- Many internal and external products. We have a mission to serve 10 million pupils and for that we need to have powerful and well designed interfaces
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust